Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just got my first leo today.I was just wondering about the feeding i have put about 10 meal-worms in the feeding dish and dusted them with calci powder. He has ate nothing and they have been then since 10 this morning. What do i do with the meal worms in the bowl that are left over just chuck them out or keep adding if they are still alive? cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey just got my first leo today.I was just wondering about the feeding i have put about 10 meal-worms in the feeding dish and dusted them with calci powder. He has ate nothing and they have been then since 10 this morning. What do i do with the meal worms in the bowl that are left over just chuck them out or keep adding if they are still alive? cheers
If he has only arrived today then no need to panic, mine took a good week to settle and feed comfortably, providing the mealworm dish has tall enough edges so they don't all escape then I would just leave it in there and the little guy will go for a feed when he wants to. Being nocturnal I find mine will come out to eat during late evening and will nibble during the night. So don't be too alarmed that they haven't been touched during the day for several reasons.

Best of luck :2thumb:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers. Also around how many months is it easy to determine the sex cause the shop owner said that it was to young to tell but he looks like a male but leave it a couple of months to be certain?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Some experienced people can do it within 4-6 weeks but with the use of a loupe.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O i have him on calci sand at the mo that came with starter kit but i have a nice tile that i am going to cut down to size tomorrow and put in instead is this ok?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd take the Calci Sand out asap and leave it out for good really. Especially at a young age keep him on just plain kitchen towel. They can swallow calci sand when going for prey but also because they can detect the calcium in it (which they like) and it does not digest properly no matter what they try and sell you so it can get trapped in the digestive system (impaction) and severely harm your gecko.

Leave it off sand until it is much older and then think about what you would like to use as a substrate. But deff take it out now and use kitchen towel.

Others will say the same no doubt

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
you can use kitchen roll or newspaper, we feed ours on mealworms only, i would not worry too much about the eating at the moment as you have only just got it, and it will take a few days to settle into its new home,

·
Registered
269 Posts
don't worry about the feeding
mine took about a week or two to eat
with the sexing i can see my youngest leo is a male and i've had him two to three months

1 - 8 of 8 Posts