Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased my new leo at the begining of september, he will be 2 years old in january, since i have had him he has shed once and only pooped twice, he spends all of his time in one of his hides and doesnt eat very much at all and its starting to worry me. its been about a week since he has pooped. i have given him warm baths but it hasnt helped but then he isnt really eating.
i feed him on locust which he just turns his head away from and he has a bowl of mealies in at all times but he just ignores them, i have tried to hand feed him but he just licks what i offer him and wont eat it. ive seen him drink water and eat from his calcium bowl. his substrate is lino,
his setup is the same as my girls who are 1 years old and they eat, poop and shed regular. he has correct set up with hot and cool end and his tempertures are all ok. he is very friendly and doesn,t mind been handled and is quite active when i get him out of the viv. he has got a nice fat tail and doesn't seem to be losing any weight.

·
Banned
1,226 Posts
sounds like hes just settleing in you just need to leave him alone for abit and just open his viv for cleaning and feeding it can take up to 3-4 weeks max for a leo to settle in

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was hoping it was just a settling in problem, he is just so lovely i didn't want to lose him :flrt:

·
Banned
1,226 Posts
dont worry to much if you start to notice hes losing weight then you need to get him to a vet but like i said it will just be settl;ing in

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think Arnie23 is right it sounds like it's just settling in. Mine took two weeks to settle and start eating normally. One of my Geckos won't eat when any lights are on but I know she is eating by the size of her tail. See how you get on over the next week.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dont worry he is probally just settling in, He will start doing stuff more often soon!

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,602 Posts
I have found that it does take adult Leos longer to settle into a new home. I had one that didn't eat for nearly 2 months. It could also be to do with the time of year. Most of my adults (especially the males) are eating far less now. The baths are not needed. Leave him as undisturbed as possible until he settles. I am assuming that he is being kept on his own? Just keep trying him with locust every few days and leave a bowl of mealies in. Do you know what he was fed at his previous home? Weigh him weekly to see that he is not losing more than a gram or two. If he starts to lose much weight then a vet visit for a parasite check would be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Also if you have seen your leo eat from the calci bowl .. why not try putting the calcium from the bowl on a mealworm kind of dipit in like u would a dorito in a salsa dip n then offer it to the gecko as it obviously recognises the taste of the calci thats how i hand feed my little ones they wont touch a mealy or a crick without calcium on ( not suprised if the smell of the pre pack tubs are anything to go by, smells like P*SS) =]
anyways as for the shedding thing it slows down as they get older as they arnt growing as much/fast same in snakes.. and also like others have said it may just be a settling in process .. new smells .. things to see not nowin where itis yet as it isnt recognised as home blh blh ... remember september didnt start that long ago :D
Aaron

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your reasureance.
yes he is living on his own and i have been coating all his food .
i will weigh him and keep an eye on his weight and just hope he settles in soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts