Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,
im gonna build a new viv with my dad (he's real good at wood work, so should look great :D ) anyways i want to know the size i would need to make to hold 2 leo's because i am thinking of trying to breed my male with a new female i am gonna buy. so if anyone could post the best recamended(sp, brain has gone dead :?) size and i can get to work..:D

thanks,
TJ

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
I always recomend a min of 1 foot square for each gecko and 1 spare, so something like 36*12(or 18) *12(or 18) will be great for two adults.

If you can make it 18 deep than thats loads of extra space you can use for enrichment, and the height , well, 12 is fine as they dont climb a lot, but at that size the viv is a little hard to work with, so 18 is better.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol ok i think i will do 36x15 not just for looks but for the geckos like everyone says "the more space the better"

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh a btw.... seeing as its going to be the best looking viv this forum has ever seen i suppose i will get sum pics up :lol: lol :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
What about when they're a bit bigger? Wouldn't you consider keeping them together? or seperate vivs?

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Not until they are at least 3 months old and not unless you wanted to face in breeding issues.

What your asking is like how long is a piece of string??

Each female can have 6 plus hatchlings per year for around 6 years.

Should we make a viv big enough for the 36 babies and the two adults?

If so what will we do about the males?

If you decide to go into breeding, then thats a whole different issue, if not, and you just have a few babies hatch, then deal with it when it happens.

To take it to extreams, you will need 1 viv for the original pair, 36 hatchling boxes in some kind of racking system, and (assumeing 1/2 babies are male) another 15 vivs for the adult males and say another 5 large vivs for trios of females

I not trying to be funny here, but hope you get my point. the question was what size is needed for a pair , not what will be needed if they breed and if they all hatch and if any are kept.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea purejurassic has the idea i wanted to know for a pair but i had breeding them in the back of my mind just as a thought if i decided to go into it but thanks loads u guys :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts