Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been preparing for my Leopard gecko (picture at bottom) for some time now and wanted everything to be ready. I have a 20 gallon long Zilla terrarium screen top with a under tank heat mat, a warm side hide and a cool side moist hide, I have a light but not for heat, and reptile carpet for substrate. I have thermometer/hygrometer warm side, and cool side both at carpet level. The warm side is 86 degrees with humidity at 40, and cool side is 76 degrees with humidity at 60.
I went to a local pet store and purchased my leopard gecko hatchling yesterday 7/23/21, and he/she does not come out of the hide on warm side. He/she does eat the crickets I put in his/her hide and there was a white and a dark droppings this morning so that’s good. I know she is scared and I want to make sure she gets properly introduced so it don’t make her scared of being handles. I have only handled her to put her in the terrarium yesterday. If anyone can tell me if i’m doing anything wrong, when I can start to introduce myself and how I do that?

Thank you,
LoeMomma

·
Registered
33,356 Posts
I have been preparing for my Leopard gecko (picture at bottom) for some time now and wanted everything to be ready. I have a 20 gallon long Zilla terrarium screen top with a under tank heat mat, a warm side hide and a cool side moist hide, I have a light but not for heat, and reptile carpet for substrate. I have thermometer/hygrometer warm side, and cool side both at carpet level. The warm side is 86 degrees with humidity at 40, and cool side is 76 degrees with humidity at 60.
I went to a local pet store and purchased my leopard gecko hatchling yesterday 7/23/21, and he/she does not come out of the hide on warm side. He/she does eat the crickets I put in his/her hide and there was a white and a dark droppings this morning so that’s good. I know she is scared and I want to make sure she gets properly introduced so it don’t make her scared of being handles. I have only handled her to put her in the terrarium yesterday. If anyone can tell me if i’m doing anything wrong, when I can start to introduce myself and how I do that?
View attachment 352244
Thank you,
LoeMomma
For a start, take the carpet out & replace it with paper towels until the leo is 6 months old or so, then put him/her on a loose substrate of sand & soil, or a packaged desert substrate- leos need to be able to dig & burrow. Carpet is dreadful stuff, you can never clean it properly & it can snag in lizards' claws, & they can't dig or burrow in it.
You need a heat lamp in place of the mat, as your basking spot is miles too cold- it needs to be 95f.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When do I turn the heat lamp on? Just wondering if they are only active at night is there a heat lamp that don’t put off light? Do you have any suggestions on how and when I handle him/her? I really want it to be a good experience for him/her. I am hands off now but can’t do that forever.
Thanks,
LeoMomma

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the paper towel in the bottom at first but as I was reading about leo’s there were several that promoted it or paper towels. It was a last minute purchase.

·
Registered
33,356 Posts
When do I turn the heat lamp on? Just wondering if they are only active at night is there a heat lamp that don’t put off light? Do you have any suggestions on how and when I handle him/her? I really want it to be a good experience for him/her. I am hands off now but can’t do that forever.
Thanks,
LeoMomma
Lamp on during the day, no heat at night. Handle him/her after he/she has settled in. Don't overdo it though.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I had the paper towel in the bottom at first but as I was reading about leo’s there were several that promoted it or paper towels. It was a last minute purchase.
Hi, there`s no need to wait until the gecko is 6 months of age before you use a particulate substrate and they are not nocturnal they are crepuscular (meaning mostly active at dawn and dusk)..
How are you measuring the temps and humidity (including the basking surface temp)?

·
Registered
33,356 Posts
Hi, there`s no need to wait until the gecko is 6 months of age before you use a particulate substrate and they are not nocturnal they are crepuscular (meaning mostly active at dawn and dusk)..
How are you measuring the temps and humidity (including the basking surface temp)?
I wasn't aware of that, tbh. I recommended 6 months because others suggested it elsewhere on the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 2 temp/ humidity readers one on floor of warm side and the other on the on floor of cool side. I have a thermostat for the under tank heat mat and it’s set to 88. I have not done anything with the basking area. TBH what I read said that just a heat mat, but I want my Leo to have whatever is needed. I ordered a uva/uvb light that will set on top the screen above the warm side. It will be here Tuesday. How would I measure the heat on the basking area? I don’t want to hurt my Leo.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I have 2 temp/ humidity readers one on floor of warm side and the other on the on floor of cool side. I have a thermostat for the under tank heat mat and it’s set to 88. I have not done anything with the basking area. TBH what I read said that just a heat mat, but I want my Leo to have whatever is needed. I ordered a uva/uvb light that will set on top the screen above the warm side. It will be here Tuesday. How would I measure the heat on the basking area? I don’t want to hurt my Leo.

Thank you
A Digital temp gun.You can them off Amazon and Ebay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts