Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am now the happy owner of a rather beautiful leo being my first reptile pet.

Having moved him yesterday which took a couple of hours in the car and got him setup in his new home I have a few new owner type questions.

I placed the mealworms in a small amount of Arkvits but should I also be pouring them into the bowl with the brown oat type stuff they came with in the plastic container? Or should I be separating them out so it is just worm + dust in the feeding bowl?

I bought a bowl which has a lid (large hole at top) so the worms cant escape, seems the lid didn't fit very well as a few enterprising worms have crawled out and are wandering around the viv. Should I leave them a couple of days expecting him to eat them or should I be cleaning them out and just topping the bowl up.

I presume 3 bowls is best? 1 for water at cool end changed daily, 1 for mealworms with small amount or dusting supplement and then a bowl of just Calcidust.

He has so far spent all day in the wet hide at the cool end which is cooler than I would prefer (at 24 degrees) But the hot end is sitting at 33 so am not sure why. The viv came with a slate flooring so I am not sure if this is influencing the thermal gradient across the viv ie losing heat too rapidly at the other end. Will he naturally move towards the warmer end if he gets too chilly or will he stay in the wet hide even if it is too cold simply because he was used to sleeping in there? The previous owner had the wet hide positioned above the heat mat. Everything I have read so far suggests the wet hide should be towards the cooler end? Thoughts?

I am presuming that the trip will have stressed him out therefore I'm also wondering should I just leave him with the mealworms and let him sit in his hide till he has happy coming out or should I lift him out and place a few crickets in to encourage him to eat or should I just wait until he chooses to come out? Equally should I place a few crickets in anyways and see if this encourages him to come out? If it doesn't how long do I leave them in if he chooses not to come out and eat?

How often should he poop? As far as I can see he hasn't pooped since I collected him yesterday afternoon just wondering if this also could be the stress of moving interrupting his usual pooping?

I'm probably overthinking everything but I just want to try and get things right.

Once I've done that then I can decide on a name ha ha

·
Registered
314 Posts
It took my leo like 5 days to a week to start eating.

My leo does NOT like mealworms, shes ignoring them.

try feeding crickets instead.

I use 2 bowls, 1 with water 1 with cal powder, the calc powder haven't been touched tho..
i powder crickets 3 times a week instead.

took a while for my leo to poop, can't really remember how long it took for her to poo tho.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
when i fed crickets, I would leave a bowl of mealworms in there all the time, then feed crickets 2-3 times a week which where dusted with D3 powder

you don't want to be giving him D3 with all his food, just a few times a week - D3 overdose is just as bad as under dosing, so don't add D3 to his mealworms, just dust the crickets a few times a week (and you don't need to add the food they came with, although a little piece of cucumber or carrot will keep them nicely hydrated and more nutritious)

(even better, add UVB light)

he might poop every day, or every few days, depends how much he eats really - it should have dark/black bits, and white bits, any other color could indicate a problem to investigate

he will move to the temp he requires, don't worry about it, as long as he has access to a hide @ 31C, then he'll be able to digest fine

I would expect the humid hide to be a little cooler, water evaporating from it cools it down, 24C isn't a problem; that's around the cool end temps I have always kept to, with options in between aswell

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the replies.

As per your replies to my other thread Cloud I do intend on switching out the setup and going with UVB but when I picked this little fat gecko up he came in a fairly low height viv.

It's a 3 foot viv but only about 8-9 inches high with a glass on the front and top as well the glass above the heat mat area. So until I can replace the viv I am restricted to just the heat mat as there is no headroom for a overhead light inside of the glass.

Did you have any thoughts on the other issue ie will a cricket or two tempt him out of the hide to eat or will he not sense them and end up with me having to extract them? How sensitive are they to prey within their viv?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Cheers for the replies.

As per your replies to my other thread Cloud I do intend on switching out the setup and going with UVB but when I picked this little fat gecko up he came in a fairly low height viv.

It's a 3 foot viv but only about 8-9 inches high with a glass on the front and top as well the glass above the heat mat area. So until I can replace the viv I am restricted to just the heat mat as there is no headroom for a overhead light inside of the glass.

Did you have any thoughts on the other issue ie will a cricket or two tempt him out of the hide to eat or will he not sense them and end up with me having to extract them? How sensitive are they to prey within their viv?
most likely he will come out at night when its quiet, at least for a little while - personally I would just leave the mealworms in there for him, rather than the crickets, they do sometimes like to chew on lizards, although with a little bit of food for them, the risk is minimal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.