Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a baby Nile, roughly a foot and a half and the petstore couldn't give me a time frame of how old he is so I'm assuming he's wild caught. I've had him/her for a few weeks now and he's starting to settle in and I was wondering, have I gotten that 1 in a million that just isn't super tempermental? Or will the aggression come with age? When I approach his enclosure he stopped hidding from me about the second week and when I move around things in his cage he slowly slinks away into one of his 2 hides and I leave him be. But when it comes to needing to move him around or handling him, he's a little flightly but calms down almost instantly. He has never hissed, bitten, tail whipped, the attempt to show any aggression the attempt to strike. He has been eating, using the bathroom, shedding and acting like any normal and healthy active monitor. Also, can anyone give me a few words of advice? I've owned b&w tegus, iguanas, and now a monitor. I'm very aware of the requirements these guys need and how ill-tempered they usually are.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Are the petshop a hands on petshop, almost sounds like hes submissive, maybe forced into being interacted with, as he settles more and more and stsrts to feel secure I would expect him to show more of the signs that a nile is known for. My nile was 2yrs old when I got her and just over 2ft, shes now over 3ft., only runs now when I go in the viv, as they get bigger older ive been told they start to get inquisitive about what you are doing, so will watch more etc,
you may have been really lucky and got a calm one, but id definitely be extra vigilant around him in case he starts to show those normal nile trsits

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that for a fact the shop I got them from is not a very hands on place, they're out for profit. I am definitely not going to underestimate the possibility of him/her becoming more aggressive with age. So I'm going to continue to bank on the fact that it's going to become more testy and pushy and get give my hopes up for having a solemnly aggressive monitor.
I'm going to take Smaug (that's his name) to the vet soon to make sure he isn't sick even though he doesn't seem like it at all. My basking surface temp is between 95-110 and the tank temp is about 85+ on the cooler end.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
My temps range from around 25c to 30c ,some areas 34c and basking area is 50c. Dont know what that is in farenheight.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My temps range from around 25c to 30c ,some areas 34c and basking area is 50c. Dont know what that is in farenheight.
quick converstion
50C is 122F
30C is 86F
25C is 77F

Even at 50 C you are not at the upper limit of basking temps, basking surface temps can get in excess of 65C - 149F in the areas they come from.
do you have multiple basking lamps in a row to cover the length of his body and head at once?
Also large pond area for swimming and submerging in, not just for splashing and curling up in?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Yes her basking area is covered by spot bulbs and is 5ft long and 3ft wide. Shes completely covered when on there. And she has a large area she swims in thst will be even bigger next year.

might lower them a little then to raise my basking temps more then, only posted my temps as a rough guide to the op

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yes her basking area is covered by spot bulbs and is 5ft long and 3ft wide. Shes completely covered when on there. And she has a large area she swims in thst will be even bigger next year.

might lower them a little then to raise my basking temps more then, only posted my temps as a rough guide to the op
:blush::blush::blush: OOOoops sorry Mitsi that question wasn't aimed at you but the person whos thread we are on.
but it does sort answer a question and show what is needed in the way of basking and bathing facilities required by a Nile.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I purchased a baby Nile, roughly a foot and a half and the petstore couldn't give me a time frame of how old he is so I'm assuming he's wild caught. I've had him/her for a few weeks now and he's starting to settle in and I was wondering, have I gotten that 1 in a million that just isn't super tempermental? Or will the aggression come with age? When I approach his enclosure he stopped hidding from me about the second week and when I move around things in his cage he slowly slinks away into one of his 2 hides and I leave him be. But when it comes to needing to move him around or handling him, he's a little flightly but calms down almost instantly. He has never hissed, bitten, tail whipped, the attempt to show any aggression the attempt to strike. He has been eating, using the bathroom, shedding and acting like any normal and healthy active monitor. Also, can anyone give me a few words of advice? I've owned b&w tegus, iguanas, and now a monitor. I'm very aware of the requirements these guys need and how ill-tempered they usually are.
I know that for a fact the shop I got them from is not a very hands on place, they're out for profit. I am definitely not going to underestimate the possibility of him/her becoming more aggressive with age. So I'm going to continue to bank on the fact that it's going to become more testy and pushy and get give my hopes up for having a solemnly aggressive monitor.
I'm going to take Smaug (that's his name) to the vet soon to make sure he isn't sick even though he doesn't seem like it at all. My basking surface temp is between 95-110 and the tank temp is about 85+ on the cooler end.

Lets begin with facts:

fact 1
surface temp of basking sight is WAY below what is needed (presuming your using a temp gun) they should be 120-140'f with niles preferring even hotter (not such a good idea if viv is not BIG) the cooler end temps are fine. Your likely find out you have not got the one in a million nile which isn't "super temperamental" once you raise them temperatures up. A monitor will only fight if it has enough energy to fight back, calming down doing nothing is a reaction to "giving up" not a reaction of healthy, warm nile.

Fact 2
a shop that's hands off (not likely) is a good shop (VERY RARE to have a good shop selling monitors) as most niles die from stress due to forced handling, not being able to hide, being pulled out of hides rending them hides NOT HIDES ANYMORE as there not safe.

fact 3
all the ones which survive the stress related deaths die from poor husbandry like low temps, poor diet, not enough food to grow correctly etc etc.

fact 4
a healthy non stressed nile can reach easy 4ft in under a year, getting to 6ft within its second year. a stressed monitor does not eat with confidence so grows slow if it survives at all

fact 5
niles are not aggressive. they will not be broken like most monitors, they are like a pitbull "there will to survive is beyond human understanding". They will act relaxed and as soon as you release that grip there get you back for grabbing them. Once adult there fear of being grabbed is GONE and so they charge you, whip you and do anything they can in order for you to never hurt, grab, with strain, tame them again.

fact 6
you don't want a healthy adult nile hating you :lol2:

fact 7
If a nile grows to trust you, that trust is beyond what most monitors will give you in return.

2ft ish

3ft ish 4 months later

close to 3.5ft 2 months later, note son is not aloud to move while nile is close or it triggers "food mode"

jumping for food at 4ft in under a year from its almost 2ft size

4.5ft with a 6ft male

as you can see by now its too big to fear me (never did as I NEVER picked it up once by force). it by now actively seeked me out to come out, for food etc etc.

in the garden in summer chilling with me not running away like most would due to suddenly being warm enough to.

now for a few videos "proofs of this"

this is how a correctly heated nile goes for food (watch wild videos to see them take nile croc eggs)
Aggressive Nile monitor chasing down the prey - YouTube
same one so confident with me it goes outside doing the same thing
Nile tong feeding outside - YouTube
trust is so strong I can pick it up with no hissing, no whipping and MOST important NO FORCE. note I am not holding its neck so it cant bite me, I am not holding its tail base so it cant whip me etc I merely just put my arm on the floor it walks over it and I lift SIMPLE but best of all I have no fear of a bite as it has no reason to bite me as I am not forcing the interaction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0UTz10gZz4&list=UUYQN1rtGo_A-s1g-g0Vntag

I hope this helps you achieve what you want "a health long lived nile"

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Lets begin with facts:

fact 1
surface temp of basking sight is WAY below what is needed (presuming your using a temp gun) they should be 120-140'f with niles preferring even hotter (not such a good idea if viv is not BIG) the cooler end temps are fine. Your likely find out you have not got the one in a million nile which isn't "super temperamental" once you raise them temperatures up. A monitor will only fight if it has enough energy to fight back, calming down doing nothing is a reaction to "giving up" not a reaction of healthy, warm nile.

Fact 2
a shop that's hands off (not likely) is a good shop (VERY RARE to have a good shop selling monitors) as most niles die from stress due to forced handling, not being able to hide, being pulled out of hides rending them hides NOT HIDES ANYMORE as there not safe.

fact 3
all the ones which survive the stress related deaths die from poor husbandry like low temps, poor diet, not enough food to grow correctly etc etc.

fact 4
a healthy non stressed nile can reach easy 4ft in under a year, getting to 6ft within its second year. a stressed monitor does not eat with confidence so grows slow if it survives at all

fact 5
niles are not aggressive. they will not be broken like most monitors, they are like a pitbull "there will to survive is beyond human understanding". They will act relaxed and as soon as you release that grip there get you back for grabbing them. Once adult there fear of being grabbed is GONE and so they charge you, whip you and do anything they can in order for you to never hurt, grab, with strain, tame them again.

fact 6
you don't want a healthy adult nile hating you :lol2:

fact 7
If a nile grows to trust you, that trust is beyond what most monitors will give you in return.

2ft ish
3ft ish 4 months later
close to 3.5ft 2 months later, note son is not aloud to move while nile is close or it triggers "food mode"
jumping for food at 4ft in under a year from its almost 2ft size
4.5ft with a 6ft male
as you can see by now its too big to fear me (never did as I NEVER picked it up once by force). it by now actively seeked me out to come out, for food etc etc.
in the garden in summer chilling with me not running away like most would due to suddenly being warm enough to.

now for a few videos "proofs of this"

this is how a correctly heated nile goes for food (watch wild videos to see them take nile croc eggs)
Aggressive Nile monitor chasing down the prey - YouTube
same one so confident with me it goes outside doing the same thing
Nile tong feeding outside - YouTube
trust is so strong I can pick it up with no hissing, no whipping and MOST important NO FORCE. note I am not holding its neck so it cant bite me, I am not holding its tail base so it cant whip me etc I merely just put my arm on the floor it walks over it and I lift SIMPLE but best of all I have no fear of a bite as it has no reason to bite me as I am not forcing the interaction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0UTz10gZz4&list=UUYQN1rtGo_A-s1g-g0Vntag

I hope this helps you achieve what you want "a health long lived nile"
Thanks for posting this phil, I thought my nile at 2yrs and 2ft was on the small side, I know in the few months ive had her shes grown quite a bit, is easily 3 n half foot nose to tail tip judging by seeing her earlier, I dont do anything with mine except feed, water change and spot clean if I have to, she has a habit of pooping at the back of the viv on her basking shelf. Which im glad shes still wary enough to run away when I open the door to clean it, although she watches me lol.

Reactions: Robbrown 52

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Thanks for posting this phil, I thought my nile at 2yrs and 2ft was on the small side, I know in the few months ive had her shes grown quite a bit, is easily 3 n half foot nose to tail tip judging by seeing her earlier, I dont do anything with mine except feed, water change and spot clean if I have to, she has a habit of pooping at the back of the viv on her basking shelf. Which im glad shes still wary enough to run away when I open the door to clean it, although she watches me lol.
nervousness is common in smaller Niles but this changes into boldness with little to no fear as they mature. For a large sp Niles are a good monitor to own far more outgoing than a salvator, I suspect far hardier also but there fight back approach is somewhat scary and not for the unwilling owner. 2-3ft at two is very small but not all grow so quickly there is alot to factor into there growth rates

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will definitely recheck my surface temps and raise them. Also, just so eveyone knows I have an outdoor enclosure for him that I had my tegu in. It's 18 ft long, 10 feet wide, and in height it's 10 ft tall. It's completely fenced in top and bottom, it was originally an old trailer portch but it's massive. Also in in the process of building a pond don't catfish and this will also be attached to his enclosure outdoors.
Thank you guys so much.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I will definitely recheck my surface temps and raise them. Also, just so eveyone knows I have an outdoor enclosure for him that I had my tegu in. It's 18 ft long, 10 feet wide, and in height it's 10 ft tall. It's completely fenced in top and bottom, it was originally an old trailer portch but it's massive. Also in in the process of building a pond don't catfish and this will also be attached to his enclosure outdoors.
Thank you guys so much.
I take it your not from UK then? having outdoor enclosure access

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Yes, I'm from Texas. I didn't realize till after I made the account was this all UK. Lol.
plenty of keepers from us on here also :2thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts