Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have just brought a 1 year old marginated tortoise from a breeder, she still has the tort
while i sort out his new home. i have made a wooden box 30x15x6, is it ok to use paper for the flooring
and i have just brought a D3 compact reptile lamp [extra high output] 7% uvb 23w. It says you can use
it as a basking lamp aswell. i want to make sure i get it right. thanks bertie.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'd say paper would prob be the best to start off with cause u can keep an eye on his feaces don't keep him on a loose substrate cause torts get impactations too!

Pic of the contents removed from a tortoises intsetines The pic has glass in it etc... torts aren't too clever!!

As long as he gets the right amount of UV for the designated times, the correct temperature gradient and decent ventilation you should be on to a winner! Good luck!

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Having rehabbed many tortoises for various reasons it's usually found that torts kept on newspaper have poor leg position due to not being able to walk properly on paper. The feet slide and unecessary pressure is put on joints causing the tortoise to drag it's shell rather than walking tall. Some deformities correct themselves but others never do. I would suggest using hemp substrate which the tortoises can bury into which is necessary for correct thermoregulation to take place.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
As long as its childers play sand you can use sand/soil. But alot of owners use auboise(sp) which is just like the hemp wizzasmum was talking about :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts