Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi we recently got a Rankins Dragon (a little under 2 weeks ago) he's 4/5 months old frustratingly I think we've annoyed him quite a bit over the past few days. For the first 10 days he'd been eating on and off sometimes spending a full 24hours or longer in his hide and barely eating. We were told this was due to settling in but when he didn't leave the hide for over 2 days we removed it after looking at a lot of conflicting advice - no one seems to agree if beardies and the like need hides -.that was 2 days ago.

He's been active over those two days and while the hides were out we modified it by splitting the cave so it still offers shelter but should hopefully let more light in so he doesn't get sick from lack of UVB and we've put them back in. He's now digging in the larger half in the cool side we'll keep our eyes on him over the next few days. He did eat a few crickets earlier and basked for a while. I'm hoping he doesn't go back to hiding for days at a time, although with the adjustments to the viv I understand he'll probably need a bit of time again to adjust.

The viv is 4x 2 x 2 the UVB bulb is a 6% bulb with reflectors which is what came with the kit with the supplier saying it should be enough due to the height of the viv. The basking lamp is a 100w bulb attached to a dimmer thermostat that set just over 100F. Temps in the tank are 75F in the cool end 88 in the middle and about 100+ at the hot end. Substrate is play sand and humidity is sitting at 32%

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
View attachment 350431

Hi we recently got a Rankins Dragon (a little under 2 weeks ago) he's 4/5 months old frustratingly I think we've annoyed him quite a bit over the past few days. For the first 10 days he'd been eating on and off sometimes spending a full 24hours or longer in his hide and barely eating. We were told this was due to settling in but when he didn't leave the hide for over 2 days we removed it after looking at a lot of conflicting advice - no one seems to agree if beardies and the like need hides -.that was 2 days ago.

He's been active over those two days and while the hides were out we modified it by splitting the cave so it still offers shelter but should hopefully let more light in so he doesn't get sick from lack of UVB and we've put them back in. He's now digging in the larger half in the cool side we'll keep our eyes on him over the next few days. He did eat a few crickets earlier and basked for a while. I'm hoping he doesn't go back to hiding for days at a time, although with the adjustments to the viv I understand he'll probably need a bit of time again to adjust.

The viv is 4x 2 x 2 the UVB bulb is a 6% bulb with reflectors which is what came with the kit with the supplier saying it should be enough due to the height of the viv. The basking lamp is a 100w bulb attached to a dimmer thermostat that set just over 100F. Temps in the tank are 75F in the cool end 88 in the middle and about 100+ at the hot end. Substrate is play sand and humidity is sitting at 32%

Hi, removing their hiding places is extremely stressful for them, moreso a newly acquired animal that hasn`t even acclimated to the enclosure let alone the keeper, you need to provide multiple places for the dragon to retreat to. It might take weeks to acclimate to the enclosure.
You haven`t said what the basking surface temps are or how you measure those, can you do that?
I don`t actually see a basking site other than a branch near the basking bulb, in that regard a flat stone or tile will hold heat better, it`s also important at this stage to offer cover around the basking area so the lizard doesn`t feel too exposed.
You need at least a 10 % UVB tube, can you show exactly where your tube is in relation to the basking bulb, also measure the distance from tube face to animal when basking?
If 32% is the humidity throughout much of the tank it`s too low, in cooler parts it can be upwards of 60% (lower around the basking site).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Need to leave it so let it settle in, 2 weeks is still not long, especially if you also keep changing stuff. This just restarts the process.

Also from my experience Rankins are a lot more shy and subdued than a bearded dragon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts