Registered
18,536 Posts
Dave, behave ! :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
New Royal

Hi there

I am new to the forum and to snakes. I got a new royal today, I am so completely over the moon. I've wanted a snake for years and years and I finally got one. She's a year old and I'm on a pretty big learning curve, I've done loads of research and feel fairly confident, hopefully I can run to you guys if I get really stuck, the place I got her are excellent and said I can any time etc. I don't know her sex but she feels girly so I'm going with that for the time being!

Can anyone help me with a question, (Already), I'm worried that shes not warm enough, I live in a really cold house (no central heating so really cold) Shes in a plastic viv with a heating mat under it, set at about 86 degrees. She feels very cold to the touch, colder than she was at the shop, should I turn up the heater? if so to what? Will it do her any damage if she gets too cold? Any help is really really appreciated.

Bev

·
Registered
675 Posts
woooooooh congratulations! royals are one of my 3 favourites! theyre soooo awesome!! hehe i saw the claw things on either side of the vent on my boy today! haha I'd only seen em in books and thought *uuuurgh!* they arent so bad in real life! hehe how do you pronounce hemipenes? is it hemi peens, or hemi penis? hehe! im a geek!

·
Registered
95 Posts
If they've got those tiny claw things does that mean they are male cos i've seen them on mine but they're really small

·
Registered
675 Posts
I thought it did.........but I'm sure i read something about females having hemi penes....maybe I imagined it.......hehe snakes on the brain!!!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I wondered why a CF too .
I guess someone has to buy them i suppose , i choose not to for my own reasons before anyone nit picks :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
The 'claw things' are spurs, both sexes can have them and they are variable in size. If you want to find out what sex they are it's best to get them probed by a someone who knows the procedure. Your reptile shop may be able to do it...

Good luck with your new snakes guys 8)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Theres 2 reptile shops near where i live, one where i got my royal from and where i'm guessing the mites came from and another where the bloke doesn't know how to sex any snakes so i think i'm gonna be wondering whether i've got a male or a female for a while yet

·
Registered
641 Posts
What about the shop you got it from? (Sorry if you've explained in a previous post, but you just said the second shop didn't know how to sex snakes and not the first) :oops:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got a cf because i like the none imbred quality they seem to have :lol2: and cb's arnt as common as people think ive been in three different shops and only seen cb once in (a) shop the whole year ive been keeping reps :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts