Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought a baby royal today at the Doncaster show. Had her out for a little while but she's very flinchy. Going to leave her to settle in for a day or two. But after then how should i approach handling her, and preferably avoid being bitten. And if i do get bitten will it hurt? Think she's just less than a year old
thanks

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
congrats on the new baby.

Let her settle for a few days - shows and travel are very stressful for snakes, and royals can be nervy.

Try not to think about being bitten, as otherwise you will act nervous and that doesn't help.

When you open the viv, make sure the snake has a few moments to realise you are not a rodent. Try not to make sudden or fast movements.

Just slowly but confidently reach in and pick up the snake.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I stoke my corns a few times to let them know im there nothing fast just slow and calm the i pick them up around mid body and thats its

I think stroking helps lst u know what mood there in and let them know ur not gonna hurt them

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
And congrats on ur new snakey

I hope to have a few royals next year

At some point

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Strongly suggest you get a couple if feeds in the royal before beginning handling. Royals are shy snakes which stress easily. Get it settled and feeding, after that go for it. Young royals can be nippy at times but it's not gonna hurt so don't worry.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It doesn't hurt at all getting bit, its more a shock in seeing the strike.

I deliberately let one bite me to show my daughters that it doesnt hurt at all.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Wait until this Sunday, then offer it an appropriate sized meal (10-15% of the body weight, I.E snake weighs 200g feed it a rat that weighs 20-30g) after a couple of feeds then you'll be able to handle it :). Make sure you go to handle it 2 days after it has fed also so it has time to digest its food. What are you keeping it in? A viv or plastic tub?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait until this Sunday, then offer it an appropriate sized meal (10-15% of the body weight, I.E snake weighs 200g feed it a rat that weighs 20-30g) after a couple of feeds then you'll be able to handle it :). Make sure you go to handle it 2 days after it has fed also so it has time to digest its food. What are you keeping it in? A viv or plastic tub?
In a viv

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I stoke my corns a few times to let them know im there nothing fast just slow and calm the i pick them up around mid body and thats its

I think stroking helps lst u know what mood there in and let them know ur not gonna hurt them

stroking method seems to have worked so far i had to move her out of her water bowl to replace the water cause she'd pooped in it and i gave her a little stroke then picked her up. She seemed less stressed.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think its so the know your not gonna harm them

My ghost was to hot due to oversizer heat mat he stuck etc but i left my hand and wrists in for 5 mins and he smelt them so hand a chance to get him out but now as he is settling in im using the stroking to get him used stroke then handling also lets them know ur nit food

Well thats what i think and i havnt been bit yet just struck at but still not my fualt (due to last owner with the mat )

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts