Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... Good news, she's not. (Beautiful Pastel Royal.)

This is the first time I've ever got a snake via courier, but i'm shoked if this is normal. She arrived twenty mins ago and when I unpacked the box, she was freezing cold and not moveing AT ALL. I mean she flopped around in my hands.

I've seen vids online of them being unboxed and they're quite awake. She really did look dead.

I poped her streight onto a hot water bottle (on top of a tea towle so it wasn't to hot.) For a long time, I thought there was no hope... But then she moved... Just a twitch.

Am I overreacting?

I'm sorry, I've had roayls beofre, but I've ALWAYS gone to get them myself.
She's okay now, just a little dehydrated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had three Royals by courier before and never experienced anything like this, defra approved reptile couriers always have heated vans and I believe they give the reptiles water too.
Which courier did you use? Glad to hear she's recovering : victory:

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
I've only had that happen once and the snake had been transported by TNT in freezing weather with no heat pads and an overnight stay in a warehouse. As said by Whimsy if you use a DEFRA approved courier, their vans are heated so this won't happen.

Do make sure you leave feedback so this doesn't happen to anyone else and complain to the courier too.

I hope the little one makes a full recovery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone:) Because I've never got a snake like this bfore, I was fretting.

She's doing really well now, she's almost as active as my others usually are, though really 'squishy' to the touch...

It was TNT. Though I did not arrange this, it was via 888 reptiles. The man that delivered said they had reptiles all the time, but that doesn't seem likely. She did come in a poly box with two heat mats, but they were well worn out.

Both TNT and 888 will be getting some phone calls, don't doubt that. I'm worried that someone with no exsperience would have not even tried to reviver her, like I said... she was just floppy in my hand. Someone else might have just left her....

I'll update with what they say later tonight if you're all interested.

·
Registered
558 Posts
wow i used tnt via blue lizard reptiles had the same problem when my rat snake came it was cold upside down i was devastated i took her out she was not moving for about 10 minutes i put mine in luke warm water after 1 min she was swiming i took her out the water she was flicking her tongue moving about i was so relieved! Now i stick to ac reptiles :)

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
Thanks everyone:) Because I've never got a snake like this bfore, I was fretting.

She's doing really well now, she's almost as active as my others usually are, though really 'squishy' to the touch...

It was TNT. Though I did not arrange this, it was via 888 reptiles. The man that delivered said they had reptiles all the time, but that doesn't seem likely. She did come in a poly box with two heat mats, but they were well worn out.

Both TNT and 888 will be getting some phone calls, don't doubt that. I'm worried that someone with no exsperience would have not even tried to reviver her, like I said... she was just floppy in my hand. Someone else might have just left her....

I'll update with what they say later tonight if you're all interested.

It's not TNTs fault really they are not a reptile specific courier and just treat the package as any parcel, it's the fault of the sender for bad packaging.

In my case the royal was a replacement for some snakes that died within 5 days of recieving them so I'd opened the package in front of the TNT driver so he had seen the state of her. She survived her ordeal and will hopefully breed this year.

Please keep us updated on both her progress and what 888 say.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As much as I think 888 is to blame, TNT are also part of the problem... They shoulden't be offering a reptile courier service if they're not up to the job. But, good point.

And I'm very, very happy to hear that yours is doing fine now!

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
As much as I think 888 is to blame, TNT are also part of the problem... They shoulden't be offering a reptile courier service if they're not up to the job. But, good point.

And I'm very, very happy to hear that ours is doing fine now!
They don't offer a reptile courier service though. To use TNT you need an account with them and they won't open any new accounts for rep couriering so there will be fewer people able to use them in time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I meant was that if they're willing to transport them, they should look after them.

Sorry if I didn't get that across well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
How horrible :(

Ive had quite a few snakes and lizards couriered but always by DEFRA licenced couriers.

I have several on their way soon too. I know they will arrive warm and safe.

TNT are not licenced so its probably written somewhere that its at your own risk - but they shouldnt be alowed to transport them if they cant do it adequately.

i would have much more of an issue with the seller because they sent it via them.

Good luck and i hope the snake makes a full recovery! :2thumb:

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
I think it also can depend on how the snakes are packaged for delivery. I know people who have had no problems with TNT, even on long trips across the country in mid winter.

However, I personally wont buy reps from anywhere/anyone who uses TNT to courier. I just don't want to take the risk. I have always used Proper reptile/animal couriers.

Glad your snake is ok now :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE:

Just got off of the phone from 888 Reptiles.

The guy said that the heat pads may have not been activated properly, and that might be the reason for her condition. He also said that TNT are the only liceneced postal service for reptile delivery (couriers not included,)so they only ones he could use. Apparently when shipped from America this is quite common... and there should be no lasting negative effects on her. I have no reason to doubt this, but it doesn't seem fair on her and other snakes to be treated in this mannor...

Thanks for all the support guys, and the opinions:)

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
TNT were for a long time the only courier that would transport reps and were used by many shops as a means of collecting and delivering reps countrywide. The packaging is up to the person sending out the reps and the only thing differentiating the package from any other parcel was if the sender marked the box as containing live animals. The parcels are all held overnight in an unheated warehouse before being delivered next day.

Now of course we have all these wonderful rep couriers like AC Reptile Chauffeurs who have their heated vans, offer water regularly and try to deliver the same day as collection so I don't understand why shops like 888 and Exotic Pets still use TNT except that they are cheaper.

·
Massive Member
11,823 Posts
... Good news, she's not. (Beautiful Pastel Royal.)

This is the first time I've ever got a snake via courier, but i'm shoked if this is normal. She arrived twenty mins ago and when I unpacked the box, she was freezing cold and not moveing AT ALL. I mean she flopped around in my hands.

I've seen vids online of them being unboxed and they're quite awake. She really did look dead.

I poped her streight onto a hot water bottle (on top of a tea towle so it wasn't to hot.) For a long time, I thought there was no hope... But then she moved... Just a twitch.

Am I overreacting?

I'm sorry, I've had roayls beofre, but I've ALWAYS gone to get them myself.
She's okay now, just a little dehydrated.

I've had exactly the same thing happen before with a snake shipped with TNT. Thought he was dead but started to come round after 20 mins or so and went on to grow big and breed for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although I woulnd't agree it's a good thing to do generally, I actually saw a nature program a few years ago where they 'milked' snakes for their venom and I remember them using something to cool the snakes right down so they're easier to handle (might even have been liquid nitrogen or dry ice or something, although not directly on the snake! lol).

In that show they cooled it down in a box for a few mins and when they took it out it did look dead. Totally floppy as if it was anaesthetised. It spent a while like that while they did what they needed and after a certain time gradually started to wake up. I think it was something to do with them going into a kind of hibernation when their body drops below a certain temperature. Really weird though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts