Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on getting a snake for the first time. I've currently got Bearded dragon, turtles, leopard and fat tailed geckos, and whites treefrogs.

I will be having a 2ft longx 3ft tallx 2ft viv. Just wanted to know what sort of snake you recommend. I'm looking at carpet pythons, because i'm not a particular fan of corns or kings

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
That sort of viv will be wasted on most terrestrial species, you need something that will climb a little. It sounds ok for a coastal to me though Im not 100% on the size, and whilst they are not a traditional starter snake, with your experience to date im sure you could care for one will little trouble.

·
Registered
597 Posts
im not a corn fan either, carpet pythons are cool...kind of snappy though, they get a reasonable size not sure about the cage size, seems alittle high

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers, I'm not planning on a coastal, because they get a bit bigger, i was looking into the jungles. It's not that i don't like corns, its the fact that everyone starts with corns ( slight exaggeration but oh well), plus I want something semi arboreal.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Jungles are lovely, nicer patterning than the coastals I think. I dont like corns, everyone seems to have one but they dont do anything for me at all. Im actually not keep on any small colubrids (except the lovely hoggies of course!) large colubrids are more my thing really.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have kept a few carpets over the years a and managed to breed them once or twice,i would say have a look at IJ's they are slightly smaller,are a rust colour and more importantly better temperamented than jungles and are easily handled even as hatchlings!

·
Registered
991 Posts
2ft viv would be too small for any carpet adult, (sorry) if you are planning on getting a young one and then a new viv you should be fine though.

That size viv would house a Green tree python for life though, however they are not the easiest to keep and are usually very snappy (trust me mine tries to get me (nearly) every time i go in the viv :twisted: He is starting to calm down a little bit though.

:wink:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
How about a rainbow boa? A brazilian or colombian may outgrow the viv eventually after a few years but one of the smaller ones (eg.argentinian) would be ok.
Viv may still be a little high but maybe you could add a 15"-18" wide shelf about halfway up - that way the snake would make better use of the height.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I think realisticaly you will need a bigger viv for most boids after the first year maybe two depending on what you buy.I Keep rainbow boas(argies,brazilains,colombians and paraguyans) and would recommend them all.As mark says the argies are probably the easiest and most placid and also the smallest so would suit a first time snake keeper.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Upgrading is not a problem. I will have (in 8 months time) a new 8x3x3 viv for my beardies, so the carpet python will be moved into the 4x3x2 viv.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Upgrading is not a problem. I will have (in 8 months time) a new 8x3x3 viv for my beardies, so the carpet python will be moved into the 4x3x2 viv.
just wondering how many beardies are you putting in such a huge cage :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

4x3x2 will last a carpet python its whole life.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just my current 2. I'm thinking about maybe a couple more, but mine are really cool, and I want to give them loads of room. Plus if i use such a big viv, i can setup a really cool mini-habitat for them

·
Registered
324 Posts
oh and guys i didn't see the size of the upgraded viv... woopsie on my part, i thought you were planning on keeping the carpet in the 2 foot by 3 by 3...

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fair enough. As much as i say i only want to have my current two, i know for a fact that as soon as i go near the reptile shop i will leave with beardies. I have 3 others that i have moved into my mates house. He came to see them when i first got them and he asked if i would sell him them and their viv. So i did.

I was thinking about splitting the 8 footer into 2 vivs, and finding something for the other side. But i dunno yet.

Cheers for all the input

1 - 18 of 18 Posts