Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up my royal spider a couple hours ago from plrodhan at a bargain price. cheers fella. :2thumb:
only 2-3 month old judging by the size of him and he's refused his last 3 feeds so i need to get him feeding again. he's currently in a faunarium at the min which i dont thinks best suited to small royals. he wont feel safe in there. he was purchased from blue lizard reptiles, or something like that. they said he was a feeder. i'm gonna get him set up in his new surroundings before offering food. any tips would be helpful, i know of the warming, exposing the brain and such ideas. open to suggestions from anyone used to getting young snakes feeding though. thanks people :notworthy:.
oh and he needs a name.........

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
hes gorgeous mate, i was going to get a spider but got a pastel instead :)

As for feeding, I went to feed mine for the first time on wednesday and he didn't take it, so i've left him for abit going to handle him today as when i go to him and sit at his level he comes out his hide and faces me and if i move he'll come towards me :) so hes obviously adapted to me, so i'm hoping this time he will feed :) but im going to try his normal feeding routine still which was defrost the mouse then boil a kettle put it in a bowl put some cold water in, put the mouse in a bag dunk it under the water for 30-45 seconds then feed, if he doesnt eat this in another 2-3 weeks im going to trying braining the mouse :) but good luck on your feeding and if he feeds let me know how you did it :no1:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
not a spider fan due to the head wobble but he looks nice, perservere and im sure he will start eating, he is probably stressed to the max, just make sure you have temps and humidity etc all where they should be. and give him lots of nice dark places to hide in :)

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Thats a thing, i got told by people royals do need humidity then others say they dont, is it really vital because mine has a water bowl, i could spray him with some water everyday if need be :) ?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats a thing, i got told by people royals do need humidity then others say they dont, is it really vital because mine has a water bowl, i could spray him with some water everyday if need be :) ?
should be somewhere around the 55-60 humidity level. our normal living areas are around 35ish. try introducing a larger water bowl. it can help a bit.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
right i got the little bugger to strike at a rat pup earlier but then left it. so i left the rat at the entrance to one of his hides for a couple hours and he's not touched it. i picked it up with the tongs and he's struck at it again twice. so he recognises it as food but why isnt he following up after the strike?

·
Registered
196 Posts
right i got the little bugger to strike at a rat pup earlier but then left it. so i left the rat at the entrance to one of his hides for a couple hours and he's not touched it. i picked it up with the tongs and he's struck at it again twice. so he recognises it as food but why isnt he following up after the strike?

my royal does this try covering the viv/rub with something and leave it untill morning: victory:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i left him all night with his little dead pink friend and he hasnt eaten. i'll give him a few days to settle and try again. he looks a bit underweight so he needs to eat soon.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yay me

someone suggested using smaller food to what would normally be offered, so tried a small mouse fluff tonight and he struck at it straight away and took it. happy days. one feeding little spider. :2thumb::2thumb:

·
Registered
15,093 Posts
someone suggested using smaller food to what would normally be offered, so tried a small mouse fluff tonight and he struck at it straight away and took it. happy days. one feeding little spider. :2thumb::2thumb:
Glad to hear he fed, id make sure that he has plenty of cover and feels secure and try and up his food to parhaps a small mouse, give him 5-6 feeds so that he builds up some weight and then try and convert him onto rats.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad to hear he fed, id make sure that he has plenty of cover and feels secure and try and up his food to parhaps a small mouse, give him 5-6 feeds so that he builds up some weight and then try and convert him onto rats.
cheers mate, i did ring the shop. the lad suggested a mouse fluff. worked a treat. gonna get him fattened up. he's only in a 16" faunarium thing at min, covered part of it though and he's spoilt for choice with his 6 hides. 4 of which are toilet tubes. i'll gradually remove them one by one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts