Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a baby Spotted Python CB'06' today and he's very cute and fiesty. :D Named him Bubbles.

He has been huffing and puffing all day, just wondered if this is normal for a spotted? Plus he keeps rubbing his nose on the viv sides and leaving saliva behind, my rat does this too but not all the time. I think I'm just worrying abit too much, he's probably just getting settled in.
I know the pic is poor, but this is the best I can do for the moment! He just won't let me near him. :cry:

Matt.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I have only had 3 Spotted Pythons but only bought one as a baby and he was extremely nippy as a baby! Doesn't hurt though. Mine calmed down as he grew older with a bit of handling. He is still abit nippy now in the viv but is fine once out. As for him leaving saliva around the viv none of mine adults or babies did that. Just give him a couple of decent hides and handle him every couple of days and he will soon calm down i would guess.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
a book i've got says that leaving a smear of mucus on the glass can be a sign of respiratory infection. put the heat in his viv up a couple of degrees and see if that helps. maybe wise to kee pit isolated from the others for a while too

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. :D

I noticed that he blows bubbles from his mouth when he sticks his tongue out, alass the name. But now you mention it, with all the huffing and puffing and smearing saliva on the tank, i'm thinking respiratory infection is a possiblity.

I'll move my hoggie away from the spotted for ther time being.

He has got two good hides in the tank, both of which he's been into, but seems content wedged between the hide and the tanks side, most uncomfortable looking. He was really active when i first put him in the tank today, exploring it all and having a good smell of everything.

Matt.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
if hes blowing bubbles and wheezing it sounds like RI, up the temps by a few degrees and take it to a herp vet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mark, gonna ring the vet today, I'll keep you all posted on his progress.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
did you go to the vets? how is he?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, he has been to see the vet and it was a mild RI, had an injection and put on 7 day course of anti-biotics. He has perked up some and is looking better, thanks for asking. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on Bubbles.

Got him home from the pet shop yesterday, after they were very good and had him treated at there vets, he all better now and hope to feed him on friday. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts