Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sent an email (because I'm on the NFRS rat breeders list) about this new litter/substrate. I asked the man who runs the place about its use in snakes and other than the usual impaction risk this is apparently safe for reptiles as it is just pelleted straw. I'm getting a sample and will try it on all the relevant animals here, but wondered if you guys fancied a look and comment on it. Not sure if it's something I will use for snakes but thought I'd share the link anyway.

Smartbedz Universal Pet Bedding and Litter

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Just had a look, i bet it will be ok and i think it will be alot better ''if'' its accidently swallowed than the usual wood chip type substrates, abit like the hemp bedding, you will have to let us know what its like

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I use tortoise bedding (pressed grass turned into pellets) for some of my snakes.... this product seems similar... keep us informed on what you think of it please... ta... J

·
Registered
818 Posts
Looks cool, let us know how it goes : victory:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a question and feel free to call me stupid.. but if swallowed.. does that swell in the animals stomach?

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't take the risk of feeding in the RUB with any loose substrate to be honest. I take mine out to feed. :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I have a question and feel free to call me stupid.. but if swallowed.. does that swell in the animals stomach?
yes it does, which is why I feed out of viv as none of my snakes are too big.... However, very easy to spot clean, and does not tend to get smelly like some other substrates do.... J

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, bit disappointed today. Been looking forward to the sample turning up as Lisa got a bag the size of a standard bag of cat litter. I had a knock on the door this morning and have been delivered the amount you would get in a dog food sample, so not enough to even try on any of the species I own. Hmm, not the best way to attract customers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts