Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have several pets/reptiles and would love bearded dragons. We are considering getting 2 babies, can anyone offer any expert hints and tips on caring for them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
I can give you one right away: Don't keep them together! Give them separate vivariums right from the off - they do not typically tolerate each other well.

Sorry if I ruined anything for you there!

Other than that, search around for some caresheets, there are a couple in the care section of this lizard section.

: victory:

·
Registered
269 Posts
There are a number of good care sheets that you could start by reading Hades does a very good one. As your reading up about what you need please please thing very carefully about getting 2 as they are generally best kept on there own.

beaten to it lol

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Yep if you get two, get two vivariums for them! They are solitary and do not
need, want or benefit from being kept together. It is very risky keeping them together but unfortunately alot of shops will not tell you the risks as the money is more important.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they should be kept alone really!

Have a look through this care sheet-
http://www.hadesdragons.co.uk/caresheet.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh! Glad I asked! It was explained to me that if they are bought together (having already shared a viv as babies) they would be fine together, but is that not the case?

I've successfully introduced our 2 cornsnakes, but not tried with any other of our ever expanding reptile family!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Ahhh! Glad I asked! It was explained to me that if they are bought together (having already shared a viv as babies) they would be fine together, but is that not the case?

I've successfully introduced our 2 cornsnakes, but not tried with any other of our ever expanding reptile family!

No this is not the case. When you buy babies, it is basically impossible to sex them. If you have 2 males they will fight and most likely kill each other or cause serious damage (my rescue boy was housed with his brother and now has half a tail and the toes on one of his feet ripped off)
A male and a female will have to be separated by the time they are 6 months as the male will mature and mate with her constantly, females need to be at least 18 months old to breed but regardless of that the constant mating would stress her and could lead to death. They may fight before 6 months though.
Two females may tollerate each others company but there is absolutely no guarantee. They may get on for hours, days, months maybe even years but if they decide they are p****d off with sharing their space they will turn on each other...and they are savage when they turn.

It is completely un-natural for them to co-habit, and the only reason I can think people force them to live together is for their own satisfaction. I don't personally see the point in risking their lives! They are much better off alone and thrive living that way. It's just such a pity that some shops and breeders only see the ££££ signs in their eyes rather than the well being of the lizards they are selling, too many people are being told it's safe to house them together when there are actually huge risks involved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your advice - the plan to get 2 has been scrapped! The conflicting advice I've had is worrying really.

Also, any advice on handling young bearded dragons would be gratefully received, thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts