Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been keeping snakes for a while now and would like to have a go at breeding.

I'm getting a pair of adult spotted pythons on tuesday and am planning on breeding them. They have been kept separate for a few months now and i would just like to know when is best to introduce them for breeding and what should i do?

There doesnt seem to be much info on the net about them!

thanks,

Emma x

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
christ you dont go for the easy snakes do you lol.. they are not easy

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was going to have a go at breeding my royal next year but thinking of just keeping her as a pet as she was my first snake.

Saw this pair in a shop about 5months ago and fell in love with them but didnt really have the space to keep them.The shop has closed down since but he still has the snakes for sale and i've got to have them!

i'm willing to give it a go though, just need all the info i can get!

Emma x

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
well havent bred mine yet but this is what I planned to do. This is info gained from speaking to other anteresia breeders and the net so how accurte it is I dont know as I havent tried it yet.

have temps at 88 during day for 14 hours then let them drop to 72ish on a night.

Introduce male around beginning of December. Leave for a few days if copulation doesnt happen take him out for a few days then try again. Do this for the net couple of months until the female is obviously gravid. Seprate when they are shedding (if they do).

Once she is gravid the male should lose interest in her. Seperate them permenantly at this point.

When she is gravid leave the heat on 24/7 and provide a nest box and await egss approx 30 days after ovulation.

Hope this helps that is what i was planning on doing but its not the definitive way so dont take it as gospel. :D

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks! looks like ill be getting 2 vivs then. i heard you don't have to cool them, is this true?

Also wondering what size vivs to get.. ive read on websites that they only need a very small one for a pair, but i dont think i could give them a small viv! What size would you recommend?

Emma x

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I kept my adults in a 3x2x2. My male was just over four foot though! I dont know about the cooling as I never got to try but you could try puttin the male in and seeing what happens. If he doesnt try courting the female just seperate them and cool them. As long as they are both healty feeding well and a goosd weight it should be fine. :D

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
think ill get two 3 foot vivs then.

Probably a stupid question but does it have to be december to introduce them or could i try now?

Emma x

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
you could try now i suppose it wouldnt do any harm. Just make sure they are feeding ok first and the female is a good weight. If they dont go now just try cooling them for a couple of months and try again. well thats what i would do but like i say i have never tried. :D

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haven't handled the female but she seems a good size and i'll weigh her when i get her on tues. Male is lovely but hard to get out his viv!

They haven't been handled atall and it shows, theyre great once you have them out though.

will buy two 3 foot vivs and introduce them when i'm happy theyre feeding well. Aparrently the female has gone off her food and he can't get her to feed again. Looks like hes just going about it the wrong way as i noticed a half rotten mouse in with her!

I know they produce fertile eggs as the female has layed some before, but they weren't incubated properly so did't hatch. Aparrently they did find some baby snakes in the eggs though.

hopefully all will go well! If they aren't suitable for breeding i will still keep them, pythons are definitely my favourite!

Emma x

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I love Spotted pythons they are great little pythons. Better than Royals IMO as they hardly ever have feeding issues and dont require the humidity etc like the Royals. They get to a decent size roughly 4-5 foot and generally good tempered. Mine are a bit funny in the viv but are fine once out. Mine should breed next year hopefully.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
finally got my spotted pythons!

the male is great but the female is very nasty! she wont let you near her atall but im sure she'll tame down once shes been handled more.

Aparrently they won't feed, so have a bit of a problem there! i don't think he's tried very hard so will offer them some food once they have settled in a bit.
They seem to be in good condition and are very active!

will post some pics when they've settled in a bit..

Emma x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts