Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to tropical fish iv bought a tank which measures 18" by 12" deep by 15" high im after colorful communial which are quit active has its 4 my daughter any sugestion would be greatful i was finking of dawk goramis and guppys

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
hey : victory:

your tank is just under 15gal so you can have roughly 15" of small fish.

For the top you can get a sparkling gourami. Very cute, peaceful and small. :no1:

For the middle you could have a shoal of some cardinal tetras (hardier then neons) about 6-8. You can then have some guppies, maybe 1male and 2 females. You will get lots of babies though. :2thumb:

then for the bottom you could have a shoal (6+) of pygmy cories.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
hey : victory:

your tank is just under 15gal so you can have roughly 15" of small fish.

Eww that rule should be burned lol,

i would say a few guppies and maybe some other SMALL fish. We are looking at 18" long so not any big fish. Also throughout the cycle the ph of the water may swing and this can harm some fish so just get some aquarium tests. Make sure your water is cycled before the introduction of anything live. Also think about snails, shrimp, plants (make sure they are aquatic and have low light needs as they tend to be easy to keep alive)

good luck and let us know how it goes

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You All Very Much Im Setting The Tank Up This Weekend & And Leaving It 4 A While

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
A good fish to start with are platties, there a great splash of colour and hardy enough to cycle the tank with.

IME Cardinals are not a good fish for beginners, I would always advice Neons over them. I'm having troubles getting hold of good cardinals at the moment but neons are fantastic.

In response to the first reply, mixing species of tetras to try and make a 'shoal' looks a mess and most species won't shoal with others anyways. Always buy Tetras in groups of 5+ of there own species eg... 5 neons, 5 penguins, 5 glowlights, not 2 neons, 3 penguins, 2 glowlights.

When you do decide on your first few fish, get them introduced in your tank, the feed them a small amount of food food every other day, all the food should be gone with in a minute.

Good luck with your new tank.

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
IME Cardinals are not a good fish for beginners, I would always advice Neons over them. I'm having troubles getting hold of good cardinals at the moment but neons are fantastic.
really? :devil: at my lfs the neons are usually pale and have quite a few dead fish in the tank, but the cardinals look fantastic.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What Catfish will i b able to keep in the tank any ideas & is the tank big enough to have a sucking loach

Ta Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts