Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my name is carol i am new to keeping reptiles i have set up my three foot wooden viv with everything in, and i am going to start with a young bearded dragon. i am looking to get a baby one but at my local reptile shop i have noticed there young dragons are on sand but i have a care sheet that says this is not safe to do so. i have already put sand in my viv and i am looking for advice if this would be safe to do this, or would it be safer to use a alternative thanks caz

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Hi Carol and :welcome1:

Sorry I can't answer your question, cos I'm a snake person, but I think you should post your question about substrate again under lizards and then you'll get the lizard people's attention. There are lots of new people coming onto this forum under 'introductions' that they may think you're only introducing yourself and not asking for advice.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
:welcome1: Hope you like it here
Stephen

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hello and welcome
I have always kept mine on sand with no problems but others may have a different opinion
Anyway Good luck with your new pet

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
hello and welcome. i have always kept mine on paper for the first 6-8mths although its up to you.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
:welcome1: to RFUK!!!! :grin1:

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
:welcome1:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Hi Carol, while it is still a baby i would recommend using paper towel. I used corn cob as it looked better. While young, Beardies tend to eat quite aggressively (not sure if thats the right wording). They will tend to pickup a mouth full of substrate with what ever there fed on. I think its best to be over cautious, but up to you. Hope this helps

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
:welcome1: to the forum
I use newspaper for baby BD's and slate tiles or lino for adults

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
hello carol and welcome

1 - 20 of 24 Posts