Reptile Forums banner

OK TO FEED MEALWORMS INSTEAD OF CRICKETS? (with ocasional wax worm etc)

• YES

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • NO

Votes: 10 45.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriouslly thinking of coming to the lizard side :lol2:

Got 3 corns, love them but they aren't too active. Was thinking of a Leo so i've been doing research but want Leo keepers opinions on

Mealworms ok to feed Leos just them? Or do they NEED crickets/hoppers? :whistling2:

OPIONIONS ANYONE? as the crickets are an isue for me, (MAM HATES THEM, I DONT LIKE THEM ETC :bash:)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I only use crix for my guys.. Mealies are a treat for them now and then though :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
In a book I was reading on Leos, it stated that for years they were fed purely on mealworms in captivity with no adverse effect whatsoever. It stated they had been successfully bred and reared on a purely mealworm diet supplemented with necessary vitamins etc. I can't for the life of me remember what the book was though :lol2:.

I believe that variety is good for all lizards, and my beardies for example get a well mixed diet, but I really don't think feeding a leo on mealies will harm it in any way as long as other husbandry related matters such as temp, substrate are correct.

My girlfriend hates crickets and hence feeds her leo purely mealworms, and he is no different in size etc to others of the same age on a varied diet. In fact, he is one of the nicer looking leos I've seen.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Could well be right, I would love to find that book and have a read

All I can say is 8 week old leos at 60g plus dont seem right to me

Ill hunt through the books at work now and try and find it for you, but yeah, I can see what you're saying as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oooo yes, come over to the lizard side!! :lol2:

I'd like to echo the points of others - variety is key when it comes to leos - they all have their preferences, but a varied diet is best. I have a bowl of mealies in with my leos at all times, just in case they get peckish, but I always provide them with alternative types of foods like butterworms, calci-grubs and hoppers, with the occasional waxworm treat thrown in for good measure!

I personally don't think there is any harm in feeding just mealies, but I think that there are benefits to providing a variety of foods - keeps their interest up, allows them to actually use their hunting skills and allows for an overall healthier intake of vits/calcium etc.

Hope that helps. :2thumb:

·
Registered
480 Posts
The book I read it in has been sold, but I found another which states the following...

"The mealworm is another staple of herp keepers. The mealworm has recently fallen on hard times as a herp food item, but this is unfair... The people who give mealworms a bad rap say that they're high in chitin, and the problem with chitin is that its indigetible. Some herps that have been fed exclusivley mealworms develop digestive problems... This usually only happens when the herp is literally stuffed with mealworms, or when the mealworms are too large for the animal. In other words, don't feed big mealworms to a baby leopard gecko. Full grown geckos on the other hand can easily manage even the largest mealworms." (Hunziker, 2001)

I'm sure its a book by AVS which claims that mealworms are a good staple also. I'm sure someone on the forum owns it.

Cheers :2thumb:

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oooo yes, come over to the lizard side!! :lol2:

I'd like to echo the points of others - variety is key when it comes to leos - they all have their preferences, but a varied diet is best. I have a bowl of mealies in with my leos at all times, just in case they get peckish, but I always provide them with alternative types of foods like butterworms, calci-grubs and hoppers, with the occasional waxworm treat thrown in for good measure!

I personally don't think there is any harm in feeding just mealies, but I think that there are benefits to providing a variety of foods - keeps their interest up, allows them to actually use their hunting skills and allows for an overall healthier intake of vits/calcium etc.

Hope that helps. :2thumb:
This is just how i am thinking of feeding but want to have as many opionons as possible first.

I don't think i would keep them in all the time but often. !

Thanks for your advice.! :2thumb:

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The book I read it in has been sold, but I found another which states the following...

"The mealworm is another staple of herp keepers. The mealworm has recently fallen on hard times as a herp food item, but this is unfair... The people who give mealworms a bad rap say that they're high in chitin, and the problem with chitin is that its indigetible. Some herps that have been fed exclusivley mealworms develop digestive problems... This usually only happens when the herp is literally stuffed with mealworms, or when the mealworms are too large for the animal. In other words, don't feed big mealworms to a baby leopard gecko. Full grown geckos on the other hand can easily manage even the largest mealworms." (Hunziker, 2001)

I'm sure its a book by AVS which claims that mealworms are a good staple also. I'm sure someone on the forum owns it.

Cheers :2thumb:

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO DO THAT!

may have a look if i can find this book! : victory:

·
Registered
367 Posts
I always have a supply of mealworms, and then one week I'll order some butterworms, and another week I'll order hoppers etc etc.

Butterworms and waxworms keep for ages and ages in the fridge, so having them for back-up is useful.

I don't like crickets either - disgusting bitey stinky things, so I opt for the more expensive alternative of hoppers/locusts. My leos can't get enough of them and as I love my babies to bits, I don't mind spending that little bit extra on them! :2thumb:

·
Registered
559 Posts
my opinion is, if you can't feed your animal what it needs for a varied diet, don't get it.
i personally don't feed my leo mealies because a well-respected member of this forum who i believe is a leo breeder as well as keeper told me she doesn't use them because they're uneccessary.
pringle gets crickets daily, he had a few locusts last night, he's had waxies in the past and can't get enough of butterworms. variety is key, as with all reptiles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts