Reptile Forums banner

New to owning snakes

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  carpetman 
#1 ·
Hi,

As the title suggests i am new to owning snakes , i have a wide variety of animals from Tarrantulas to Chameleons to Frogs and so on.

I am now the proud owner of an Anna Corn Snake, apart from him wanting to eat me everytime i go to pick him up ITS GREAT!!!, such a very misunderstood creature,

Just wondering is it normal for him to "S" posistion at me EVERY time i go to get him out to handle him, the shop where i got him from didn't have the time to handle him everyday and was wondering if his behaviour is normal and more patience and time is required , i have had him for around a month now.

Am i being too eager for me to earn his trust? , i have read through this forum and have learnt a lot from a lot of threads, when i have him out he is fine it just seems he gets the hump when i go to get him out, the method i found less stressful for both of us is too remove his hide and expose him,
then i wait for his little tounge to flick about and then when he goes to move elsewhere i (TRY TO) pick him up about one third away from his head and then get him out and sometimes its succesful but most times the famous "S" strike is ready.....:whip:

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.:2thumb:

im hoping to own a royal python soon too as these are amazing animals and i dont think im prepared to get eaten everytime i go inside its viv.:shock:
Would it be worth investing in some snake hooks?

Thanks again for any help on this and sorry for the long post....

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Toxic

How long have you had your new corn? I'm guessing he is very new, like a couple of days?

If so the best advice would be just leave him alone for a week, don't even open the viv apart from changing the water and cleaning up any mess he makes.

Then slowly start getting him used to you a bit at a time. If he's not used to being handled he'll take a little time to get used to you, so just be patient!

You can also try just gently tapping him on his back towards the tail before you pick him up. If you do that every time he may get used to knowing that you're not a threat or food!

Cheers

Billy

#4 ·
ive had him around a month now, i have also pasted this thread in the snakes section aswell, but please any info is great , can never know too much about anything,

i gave him over a week to settle in , his eating fine , getting cleaned as soon as poop is seen, he just gets a bit shitty when i go to get him out but fine when actually out

#5 ·
IMO.just time and regular handling, if like you said he was not handled much at the shop then he will be a bit viv defensive, he may always be viv defensive, but as already mentioned, try stroking his back a little before putting your hand in, just to lret him know your there,
hopefully he willrealise your no threat or food to him and you should get easier access/
good luck and welcome to the forum

#7 ·
Also, if he is a bit unpredictable try putting an old pillowcase or something over his head (just put it on top of him, it will be dark and he will feel a little more comfotable), he then cant see your hand comming. Pick him up quickly and confidantly. You being nervous, will also make him nervous!
But he should get better with reg handling and as he gets older!:2thumb:
This worked with a corn of mine that was very nervous, and used to try and flee everytime i went near her! Worked a treat in no time!

#8 ·
Agree with Shonny! Very addictive:lol2:

#9 ·
#10 ·
> As the title suggests i am new to owning snakesI am now the proud
> owner of an Anna Corn Snake, apart from him wanting to eat me
> everytime i go to pick him up ITS GREAT!!!
> Just wondering is it normal for him to "S" posistion at me EVERY time i
> go to get him out to handle him

Snakes even little snakes can be very intimidating, and it's not necessarily the bite that hurts, but the quick movement that surprises you.

A corn snake will probably calm down very quickly. Handle it regularly for a couple of minutes at a time and gradually lengthen the time. I had a bitey carpet python who struck at me every time I got her out for several weeks. The first time I handled her without a strike was a real achievement. It took her 3 months to become laid back enough for me to trust her (as far as you trust any snake), and now she's a real sweety.

get a pair of thin leather gloves (B&Q do gardening gloves). You should then be able to go straight in and pick her up without hesitating cos she can't hurt you. This confidence will rub off on her and she will become less stressed as well. Within a very short time you won't need the gloves.

#11 ·
just persistance and dont worry if he does bite it wont hurt

#12 ·
get a pair of thin leather gloves (B&Q do gardening gloves). You should then be able to go straight in and pick her up without hesitating cos she can't hurt you. This confidence will rub off on her and she will become less stressed as well. Within a very short time you won't need the gloves.
My first snake was a cali king who was a bit bitey, so i used to wear gloves to get him out...it worked wonders cos it gave me the confidence to handle him and him time to get used to being out and about : victory:

#14 ·
As someone mentioned earlier, you ought to come down to our reptile night and meet a load of other snake keepers!

Half the people going are people off this forum, so you can ge all the advice you need in person, and get shown first hand how to hande your snake in the best way for you and the snake!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.