Reptile Forums banner

New to reptiles- Cresties? Dals?

893 views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  jaibo86 
#1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Natasha. I'm a fancy rat breeder (breeding under the name Elkwood for show) and general animal lover.

I've been pondering getting a reptile for a while. I wanted something that didn't eat pinkies or rodents, didn't get too big, wasn't a snake, and wouldn't be too difficult to keep for a newcomer like me. I have a friend who breeds/keeps geckos in the states, and I kinda fell for her Crested Geckos. Having spoken with a few other reptile keepers, and looking them up, researching for a while, I think they are for me.

I'm not in a position to take on any animals at this point- I have a glass tank I could use for habitat, but really I'd rather wait and be properly ready before making any snap decisions. Also I'm finicky about where I get my geckos from (ethical, quality breeders and all that), and the variety (I believe they are called Morphs in geckos?)

Can anyone reccommend a breeder? Dals are my love (the whole reason I fell for these little cuties is because of a super dal named Cookie) but I also like the solid, one colour morphs.

Erm, other than that, Hi, nice to be here, etc etc :p

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi. Dont know Of any breeders but I am a rat keeper turned crested gecko keeper, so , hello :) you will love the Cresties! They take a lot if getting used to after the ratties. I can't get used to the fact that Duncan doesnt gobble up his food in the bowl like the rats do , or come to the side of the tank to say hello etc :) but he is a wonderful little creature.

#3 ·
I can't really help point out a breeder in particular, but there are a lot of good ones out there. Wowser is right though, reptiles are majorly different to keep then mammals. Very much unintrested in you, unless you have food that is :p.

Anyway, you might wan't to let people know where you are from, so that when someone who does know breeders comes along they know where you are in relation to the breeders they know :)

Welcome to the forum by the way. Ignore the constant nattering here in the Lizard section, we are all just a little off our rockers.

#4 ·
Hi guys thanks for the welcome. I am based in se UK, Kent actually. I have spotted a few gecko I really like, but they are all in the states. The reptile world will take some getting used to!

The rats are like a second job, so a charming little lizard or two will be a nice cool down! I gave two mice at the moment as well and they are kind of fulfilling that role for me. A lot less going on up there!

#6 ·
#7 ·
Why don't you wait till the next show, theres plenty of choice out there for crestys but also plenty of other species that you may like even more or fall in love with from people like Rhac Shack, grinning geckos and suez jewels etc etc, you also get people who don't have a stand but i'm sure would fetch an animal to a show for you too.

these are just to name a few of the breeders that have really nice geckos and different species available.

#14 ·
Can highly recommend suey on here, my Goose came from her & she gave me loads of help & advice before i bought my first Crestie :2thumb:. Why not look in the lizard classified section, there are plenty of Cresties for sale in there :2thumb:.

#15 ·
Naomi, thanks. Lilly's geckos look so cute :) Your bloke is lovely! Harlequin? (Am trying to learn my morphs!)

Ginnerone and Lozza Bella, thanks! I didn't know there were reptile shows over here. Hmm. Maybe I will do that.

Cornygirl, ta, but I am not looking to buy just at this moment, and as I said, I'm looking for the right breeder and the right gecko in the morph that I want. With rats you have to pick a variety you actively want to do; there's no point doing something more common or easy because of that, even it is less difficult. So I know I need to pick the right geckos, particularly as they are going to be with me a lot longer than any of my rats!

Really excited about the prospects of a reptile show, and I think I may start contacting the breeders you guys have reccommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.