Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im new to this forum. In a couple of months I am going to buy a common boa constrictor (imperator). So I was thinking of buying a 36 inch long screen top enclosure but my house cools down a fair bit at night so now I figure that a wooden enclosure with sliding glass doors would hold the heat better is that correct?

Im thinking for the backround heat ill use a ceramic heat emmiter. Im not sure what to use for the hot spot yet. Would it be ok to use a ceramic heater for the hotspot as well so id have one at each end?

What type of thermostat do you use with ceramic heaters is it an on off or the pulse stat?

I used to keep a few Tarantulas so im pretty good at maintaining humidity but with a backround heat and a hot spot im imagining that humidity is a problem is it?

Is it possible to buy newborn boas sexed? as I would like a female

I would especialy like an albino are these much more expensive?

Ive read The Boa Constrictor Manual are there any other books on boas worth reading?

I know thats a lot of questions I would be very grateful for any answers thanks

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
First welcome dude!

Rico said:
So I was thinking of buying a 36 inch long screen top enclosure but my house cools down a fair bit at night so now I figure that a wooden enclosure with sliding glass doors would hold the heat better is that correct?
Wood in my view is much better at holding humidity and heat. Glass tanks are nasty...

Rico said:
Im thinking for the backround heat ill use a ceramic heat emmiter. Im not sure what to use for the hot spot yet. Would it be ok to use a ceramic heater for the hotspot as well so id have one at each end?
Ceramic can be used for hot spots and ambient viv temps...

Rico said:
What type of thermostat do you use with ceramic heaters is it an on off or the pulse stat?
pulse stat is best although you could use a dimmer.

Rico said:
I used to keep a few Tarantulas so im pretty good at maintaining humidity but with a backround heat and a hot spot im imagining that humidity is a problem is it?
Won't be to much problem. Give them a spray each day anmd that should od. Also make sure they have a water bowl big enough to soak in if needs be...

Rico said:
Is it possible to buy newborn boas sexed? as I would like a female
No problem just ask whos selling it!

Rico said:
I would especialy like an albino are these much more expensive?
OH YES!!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the fast reply thats been a big help.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
lol, welcome dude

good selection of answers dude

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ditto what Welshgaz said :D

One thing though - you only need one ceramic in the viv - for an adult common boa in, for instance, a 6x2x2 viv you'd probably need a 150W.
In a 6ft viv I'd mount it about 18" from one end - make sure it's got a decent guard though!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks Mark but does one heat source provide enough localized heat or does it cause the snake to remain on the hotspot. Thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As long as the ceramic is powerful enough it'll also warm the cool end to some extent - the heat will travel down the viv.

You may have to experiment a bit with the position though - start off about 18" from one end, if the cool end is too cool, move the ceramic down the viv more towards the cool end. If it's too warm at the cool end, move it back towards the viv wall.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok that sounds good thanks again Mark

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 more questions

1.If I buy a 36 inch viv for a baby common boa how long roughly would it take for the snake to outgrow the viv?

2.Would I be better buying a 48 inch or would a baby boa feel lost in a viv this size?

Thanks for any answers.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
it all depends on the size of the snake, i have my 7 month old boas in a 2ft viv at the moment, as they are about 3ft, they will soon be moving into a 3ft viv in next few months as they hit 4ft,

my 2 year old female who is 5ft, is in a 4ft viv, this may be slightly too big for her at the moment but with plenty of hides she will feel secure enuff, and she will double her size, in the next year

The general rule of thumb is that a snake needs an enclosure half its size, so that is feels secure, females will grow larger than males, and require larger homes,

So IMO if you buy a hatchling then a 2ft viv will be ok for the first year, then move upto a 3ft,

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Tigger ill get the 24 inch to start then.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One more thing

Is there a time of year when there are more baby boas available or are they bred all year round?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
you can norm gewt em hatchling in march area however they are around all year deps how ppl breed them, an if they are stock that jus didn sell over x-mas an before good luck...south west reptiles in exeter has 2 babys male an female in stock yest not sure if there nows though...jus in case u wanted an example...or 2 know lol

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Just a quick response as a boa keeper.
Agree with a 2ft viv will be ok for first 9 months or so. A female will grow initially at a slightly slower rate than a male, so you may get a year. The difference is that a males growth slows after two years and stops at 6-7ft. A female will continue to growth and slam on a load of weight in year three. Personally, I think a 3ft x 1 1/2ft x 1 1/2ft will be fine to start, just ensure plenty of hides and some artificial plants to give cover. This way your covered for 18 months or so.
Remember to include some climbing since the little ones love to get high up and snug. Also ensure you get a strong guard for your ceramic - all that you purchase can be transfered when you upgrade your viv.
A lot of people breed this time of year to match the natural seasons, so expect to see more availability in March and April, although you will always find BCI's available.
A BCI is a fantastic choice and you will have a friend for life. I would suggest you try to see and handle a large adult female before your purchase just to ensure you know what your letting yourself in for, since they are powerful beasts.
Good luck with your purchase!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts