Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am after some advice as I am new to this, I recently aquire three leopard geckos and set up from someone who no longer wanted them, they are on a bark substrate but I am unsure whether to keep them on this, also the viv is 3ft long is thsi big enough for them, I have had them since the weekend and they are all eating well and are very friendly. Any advice would be great

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
3ft viv for leo's is plenty.. as they have already been living together I assume they are all female or there is only one male. If there is a male you will get eggs (something to bare in mind).

As for the bark substrate, many people here won't like that to much as there is always the risk that they eat the bark. This will get struck in the digestive system and cause the leo to die. I'd move them onto a non-lose substrate when you get the chance. Something like reptile carpet or slate are excellant.

Leo's are one of the easiest lizards to look after so have a read of a few care sheets of google and I'm sure you'll do just fine :wink:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hello mate.
Good luck with the leo's, we just got one ourselves and have him on kitchen towel just while he settles, i think bark chips are generally fine but there is a risk with all loose substrates as mentioned above.

You should stick around and post etc mate, you can and prolly will learn a lot about a lot of different species here.
Feel free to also post a picture of your trio and thier viv in the lizard pic section, yourll prolly get a lot of "ahhs" and "awws" and the odd "why do you have that like that?" kinda comment BUT its all in the interest of learning and sharing info.

Take care, see u around.

Dean

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
should she not get eggs anyway if they are female? thought that all eggbearing females laid eggs regardless of if there is a male. is this wrong?

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
i agree,i was new to this site a few weeks back,like you i had aquired the whole set up only 1 leo tho,with advice ive changed lots of things but the advice on here is invaluble,actually it was dean who 1st answered my plea,any news on the shop front?? i often read other things not concerning leos and it all so interesting quite amusing at times they argue like married couples about whats what,funny as hell sometimes but above all they all have the reps best interests at heart,ive put a good few questions on here and they are always answered not been able to load any pics yet but im working on that,anyway good luck with your trio theyre a real pleasure to own except the bugs bit :shock: i hate them all!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Blazey said:
should she not get eggs anyway if they are female? thought that all eggbearing females laid eggs regardless of if there is a male. is this wrong?
Not nessaserily but it is possible in leos I think?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi, i've had my 2 female geck's for well over a year now. They like nothing better then their calci sand......I know people don't like it....BUT.....they love it, they don't eat it and are clean eaters...being girls...boys probably would eat it. It;s good to dig in and they love laying in it the warm end.
Everyone likes something different. Just watch the behaviour of your own and adjust as needed....

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
dunno i thought all females always laid eggs but they just dont get fertilized if there is no male.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i've had my two leo's for over five years now and have always kept them on calci sand....i know not every one here like's it but as i said my two have been on it since they were babie's and have had no probs what so ever.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
have they ever laid eggs claire even without a male?

·
Registered
57 Posts
hiya,

i dont mean to interfere, i dont have leos but whats wrong with calci sand, i think its fine? i would like to know coz im just bout to get an uromastyx, tomoz in fact and i have put it on that substrate, would like to know if theresz a prob?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Peatree to regards about your question on calci sand many people dont like the stuff myself included as its not digestable nor really that safe. Its up to your own personal self if you choose to use it but theres a higher risk for problems in my opinion. Its best to stick with easy cleaning substrates that you know are pretty safe for reptiles.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The main probs with gecko's and calci sand is, geckos will find a calcium source if they dont have enough in there diet, so will eat it, and there digestive system is not built for it, it will cause an impaction, which is like constipation. they may also pick some up while feeding, again causing the same problems. if you use it with geckos, try and keep a constant supply of calcium in an old washed bottle lid, they will prefere this to the sand anyway.
A uro, should be kept on it as it is the closest thing to it's natural habitat, but try and keep loads of rocks, and mine loves a tube to hide in and play on.

Good luck with them all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
oh ok then, i am getting an occelated uromastyx, what do you have? wiot kind of pip[e, is it bought? or can it be just a normal hardware store u bend type pipe.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i have the giant!!! egypticus. it is just a rough bit of drain pipe, big enough for him to slide down, i also have some pond pipe in there for him to play on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice, I think I will keep them on the substate they have at the moment as they are use to it and monitor how it goes and maybe change it in the future, with slate how do you cover the whole of the bottom and does the heat mat heat through it ok?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts