Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Managed to breed my FBTs over the summer. I'm in the process of setting up a new viv as I will be keeping a few of the newcomers in a 90wX45dX45h exo-terra.

I'm going for a 50/50 water and land setup and have a few questions.

1: Underwater heaters - I use a heat mat currently in a setup with about 60% land to 40% water. Would an underwater heater be sufficient? and if so what wattage should I buy?

2: Moss - Noticed on a a few YouTube videos that mosses appeared to be growing on rocks. What types of mosses do this? I've tried to grow mosses in other vivs on coir/peat mix, but it never seems to thrive.

3: Filters - Tried a few in a the existing FBT viv and they've all been too powerful and the FBTs seem to struggle to swim freely. Any suggestions on a quality filter and water pump for a talk this size?

Thanks in advance for any expertise/suggestions.

Steph

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Hi all,

Managed to breed my FBTs over the summer. I'm in the process of setting up a new viv as I will be keeping a few of the newcomers in a 90wX45dX45h exo-terra.

I'm going for a 50/50 water and land setup and have a few questions.

1: Underwater heaters - I use a heat mat currently in a setup with about 60% land to 40% water. Would an underwater heater be sufficient? and if so what wattage should I buy?

2: Moss - Noticed on a a few YouTube videos that mosses appeared to be growing on rocks. What types of mosses do this? I've tried to grow mosses in other vivs on coir/peat mix, but it never seems to thrive.

3: Filters - Tried a few in a the existing FBT viv and they've all been too powerful and the FBTs seem to struggle to swim freely. Any suggestions on a quality filter and water pump for a talk this size?

Thanks in advance for any expertise/suggestions.

Steph
Hi, Steph, be prepared for culture shock! :lol2:

Ok, 1) FBTs don't need heating, at all. They do much better at room (or cooler) temps- I even used bottles of frozen water to cool down my tanks in the recent hot weather. They've settled down a lot since it's got cooler.
2) In my set-ups Jave moss (available from aquatic retailers) does well in my tanks- it needs to be constantly wet, but given the way they drag water everywhere, it works fine for me.
3) I don't filter my FBTs (or any other of my current amphibians) they don't like rushing torrents, on the whole. A roughly 25% water change every fortnight or so is fine.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Steph, be prepared for culture shock! :lol2:

Ok, 1) FBTs don't need heating, at all. They do much better at room (or cooler) temps- I even used bottles of frozen water to cool down my tanks in the recent hot weather. They've settled down a lot since it's got cooler.
2) In my set-ups Jave moss (available from aquatic retailers) does well in my tanks- it needs to be constantly wet, but given the way they drag water everywhere, it works fine for me.
3) I don't filter my FBTs (or any other of my current amphibians) they don't like rushing torrents, on the whole. A roughly 25% water change every fortnight or so is fine.
Hope that helps!
Thanks Ron. Good to know. I'll maybe install some heat only for winter as I think the room they're in gets a little too cold then and the FBTs are at the bottom of the viv rack.
Thumbs up for Java moss - I should be able find it in a local aquatics shop.
I've never filtered either for the same reason. Was thinking of a slow dripping waterfall; more of a feature than a functioning filter. Sound ok?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My pair live in an 18" tank with about 4.5" of water and a Zoo Med Turtle Dock.
Using an air pump bubble filter (what are they called!?) and my toads love it. They have land with a place to hide and loads of water area to swim.

The dive in in the water and chase each other round. Also had some babies earlier this year in same setup.

They are currently 'at it' again so expecting more tadpoles soon.

My first lot of toadlets sadly didn't make it but I'm prepared this time if they do have babies!

I found mine prefer the water not as fresh and clean as I would like it, but if it's too clean they just stay on their dock until the water stagnates a bit. So long as they are happy and healthy they can live as they want!!

Chris

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Thanks Ron. Good to know. I'll maybe install some heat only for winter as I think the room they're in gets a little too cold then and the FBTs are at the bottom of the viv rack.
Thumbs up for Java moss - I should be able find it in a local aquatics shop.
I've never filtered either for the same reason. Was thinking of a slow dripping waterfall; more of a feature than a functioning filter. Sound ok?
Thanks again.
Even during the winter, a colder period isn't always a bad thing- it brings the females into breeding condition more readily, once it warms up- they naturally range across a large area of Northern Asia. A dripping waterfall should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts