Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya People.

Can i have some advice please.

I just went to feed my royal for the first time in his new viv and as soon as the rat went in the viv he came out from under his cork bark rather alert as normal, but he struck twice for the ceramic gaurd, with no intrest in the rat. He was pushing the rat out the way to eye up the gaurd a few times, he struck the rat one but i think that was more to get it out of the way of his veiw of the gaurd.

I tryed dipping the rat in warm water to raise the temp but no avail. Normaly if he dosent strike feed i leave it in there for him over nigh and 9 times out of ten its gone in te morning. But i do prefer watching him eat, then i know he hasnt digarkested bark .

I think i will have to do down the route of super heating like some of you do.

So how do you do this beacuse normaly i just defrost at room temp.

Cheers Callam

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
It sounds like he's smelling the rat and then going for the hottest thing near him. I had a boa do this once and actually bite on to the lamp guard.

I usually put the rats onto a baking tray and then use a hair dyer to heat them up with (baking tray gets hot and helps to heat the other side of the rat). Or you could try dipping the head of the rodent in hot water so that you're getting a good heat signature without risking expanding the gases in the stomach.

Try not to burn the poor little chap. :lol:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi, you could try feeding your royal in a rub or another container to save him getting confused.:2thumb:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers people. i will try hairdrying it. as we have one if thise studing push button kettels that dont get that warm. andif that doesnt work ill get him out 2 feed. rub or towel on my bed.

even tho i was worring a little for his saftey, it was funny to watch him nudge the rat out of the way of his veiw of the ceramic.:lol2:

Cheers

Callam..

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:lol2: You know what i ment.lol

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
We defrost and then put rats into warm water.

With our new spider we have found heating whole rat in warm water and then put some boiling water in a cup and heating up the head.

Seems to work a treat for us, hope this helps!

Sooty

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers sooty.

ill give him another try tonight.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Are you offering the food in the hot end? If you heat it up and offer in the cool end that should minimise confusion... I have Retics that go a bit bonkers at feeding time and smack into the heater, i just encourage them down the cool end with the food so that the only warm thing they can see is the prey...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
i prefer to warm mine on a heat mat. this way they warm nice and evenly and get close to a natural body temp. they also keep there heat better. i fine warming them in water they loose there heat quickly and the substrate does tend to stick to them. when they are dry they don't tend to do this so less chance of the substrate being ingested. :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He was in the cold end of a 3ft viv and was striking over a foot to the gaurd.:lol2:, it was a great feed responce but to the wrong item. i think a hair dryer might be needed or a radiator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts