Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well , ive ordered my new viv today , should be here in a few days , and dispite what some people say i want to try my leo's on sand

what i need to know :

what sand should i use.
how can i check for signs of impaction
how deep should the sand be ( " or cm or mm )

thanks , just wonna give them a trial see how it is ^^

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
play sand is the cheapest. to try and stop impaction you aught to try feeding you gecko with tweezers. that way you know how much it's eating and there won't be any crickets running round the viv. i'd just do a thick layer of sand so it covers all the floor.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking of covering in playsand or reptile sand and having 1 or 2 big peices of slate for them all

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah that'd be fine. make sure they have hides in there too.
i would advise ya on playsand over reptile sand tho because the price difference is rediculous. playsand is just as safe and don't let the shops tell ya any different. :smile:

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have 2 caves a shed box a log hide and some cork bark im fine lol just want a bigger viv so all 3 can go together and there not in 2 tanks

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one more thing , if there impacted how would i know?

dont wonna find out the hard way

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
my BD had calci-sand for 8 months and was fine, I then changed to playsand and she became impacted, i dont recommend the stuff.
Signs of impaction are, loss of appetite, lethargy, and no poo!
I now use lino, and others use ceramic floor tiles, just some more options, if you want to use sand though, do so, other people have used it for years with no ill effects.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
tired looking, not moving much, no energy.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
How old are the geckos? How big?

I always use sand, but only when they get to almost adult size. Before that they tend to be clumsy eaters, and so I avoid sand altogether and just use kitchen roll.

I've used calci sand, but moved to playsand because of the price difference, and found no difference in performance etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts