Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks nice, but make sure there is enough ventilation, since that light is going to make it really toasty in there since it's fully in the viv. You still want a gradient, remember!

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
hi,

What UV index are you providing and with what at basking?

remember all heat and light at one end, cool and shade at the other, so the highest basking point needs to be at the hot end not the cool.

so swap your decoration around and use natural stone instead which will hold and reflect heat as in the wild,

also look at bio-active systems for arid species. Much better for the dragon and nicer for you to look at than a sterile open space.

if you want advice r.e lighting just shout

john

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi,

What UV index are you providing and with what at basking?

remember all heat and light at one end, cool and shade at the other, so the highest basking point needs to be at the hot end not the cool.

so swap your decoration around and use natural stone instead which will hold and reflect heat as in the wild,

also look at bio-active systems for arid species. Much better for the dragon and nicer for you to look at than a sterile open space.

if you want advice r.e lighting just shout
I'm using at Arcadia 10% + tube light. The basking light is white and it's a 60w Habistat light. Also using a Habistat digital dimming thermostat and a repti gun to check temps. What do you mean about bio active and swapping her ledge for stone???

john
hi I'm using a Arcadia 10%+ tube light plus a 60w Habistat dimming thermostat. Also using a Habistat digital dimming thermostat and a temp gun to check temps. Also have a seperate digital temp for the cool end.
What do you mean about rearrange my stuff for a stone. Also what is bio active.??

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
What is the distance between the lamp ND the dragons back at basking? Have you got the right reflector?

Yes you need stone Ideally under the heat spot. This will then radiate heat back upwards and store it, providing essential, safe belly warmth.

Bio-active is the practise of keeping your reptile in a natural surrounding, a mini eco system of live substraight and live plants.

Look at the facebook groups for bio-activity or read my columns in PRK for more info

John

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the distance between the lamp ND the dragons back at basking? Have you got the right reflector?

Yes you need stone Ideally under the heat spot. This will then radiate heat back upwards and store it, providing essential, safe belly warmth.

Bio-active is the practise of keeping your reptile in a natural surrounding, a mini eco system of live substraight and live plants.

Look at the facebook groups for bio-activity or read my columns in PRK for more info

John
The distance between the lamp and her back is about 6 inches. What heat should it be?

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
It's the UV lamp I'm talking about, 6" is too close for a heat lamp to be at the back mate, it will burn the dragon

What have you got your stat set to?

The distance between the lamp and her back is about 6 inches. What heat should it be?

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
If you take away the bridge and put a flat slate where it is directly under the basking spot - then check the temps there and adjust your stat accordingly . Also if you don't have a reflector in your uv tube get one or you are losing most of your valuable Rays - they are only about a tenner

I would also move the water bowl to tycoon end.

Do consider bioactive if you can, it will make a whole world of difference to your animal

Reactions: Arcadiajohn

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the UV lamp I'm talking about, 6" is too close for a heat lamp to be at the back mate, it will burn the dragon

What have you got your stat set to?
My stat is set up for 32 degrees c
I don't have a reflector for uv tube yet but will get one tomo.the uv tube is on the roof and the Viv is 60 cm in height

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
A beardie said needs a basking ten of 42 degrees plus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts