Reptile Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
just make sure they don't drop to low through the night... I have the lights on a timer as it makes it easier but the heat stays pretty constant until breeding, then i lower the temps for a while....The last thing you want is the Boa getting more nowty than she already is
If it doesn't work out i'll look at it again, I just read an interesting thread about dropping the night time heat the other day, and apparently it makes the snakes generally a bit more active, and obviously is what occurs naturally in their natural habitat. If they don't seem happy i'll either lower the number of hours it's off, or just put it back to constant. It's something i'll be monitoring for a few weeks anyway :)

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well they seem to like it up to now, narky knickers Bella is in the upturned hanging basket liner which makes a great cave, and Mairead is on top of her cave, just watching the boxing :2thumb:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Beautiful vivs! Yours make mine look like crap! :) Seriously though, good job!

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Beautiful vivs! Yours make mine look like crap! :) Seriously though, good job!
I've been waiting for ages and saving up lots to get them! The boa was in a 50L RUB and the royal was in a faunarium before today, i've never had such lovely set ups but being on show as soon as someone walks through the front door I wanted it nice, so thank you :)

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Very nice vivs. My only criticism is that you really should have used clear silicone rather than the awful white stuff, which to me, ruins a very nice viv stack.
Well, yes, touchy subject. It was supposed to be clear silicone, it hasn't even dried feeling like silicone to the touch, it feels like grout. It's not all that noticeable now it's decorated though :/

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
When the heat comes on each day watch the temperatures of the guards on the ceramics.
When switched on they will be hotter as the viv heats up and you have bulb guards fitted rather than ceramic ones.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
When the heat comes on each day watch the temperatures of the guards on the ceramics.
When switched on they will be hotter as the viv heats up and you have bulb guards fitted rather than ceramic ones.
I was given them by someone are they not the right ones?

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I was given them by someone are they not the right ones?
They are for bulbs not ceramics.
When they switch on in the mornings especially check how hot they get, you may be ok depending on the wattage ceramic. Also bear in mind that they will also have to work harder during the winter.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
They are for bulbs not ceramics.
When they switch on in the mornings especially check how hot they get, you may be ok depending on the wattage ceramic. Also bear in mind that they will also have to work harder during the winter.
They are 100w ceramics, there isn't much clearance between the bulb and the guard as the stupid ceramic holder was supposed to be angled, but rather than a true 45 degrees it's about 65-70 degrees, so I had to cut part of the guard away and mount them using thick repair washers :devil: Wasn't too mithered as I found the guards in a box I was given about a year ago with a viv I bought, it had a fish tank pump, half a block of coco fibre, a heat mat and the guards in it! Result... I thought lol.

The stat probe is quite close to the heat source so it shouldn't get to much higher temps than the stat is set to, but i'll keep an eye on it, thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
becareful having those wires throught the vents, snake pulls wire, off pops the vent cover snake decideds to go through the vent. one lost snake.

take care
steve

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
becareful having those wires throught the vents, snake pulls wire, off pops the vent cover snake decideds to go through the vent. one lost snake.

take care
steve
They are glued now : victory: and the wires are cabled tied on both the inside and the outside of the vent so they shouldn't move either way... that's the idea anyway lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
They look really good. The only thing i would have done is drill a hole in the back wall where your stat probe is and put both the probes through the back so having minimal cable in the viv. I can see them pulling them off the back wall.I know some dont like drilling holes in their new vivs but it works best for me.
i do same ....... i run viv for a couple days until i work out where ill get best reading and i drill thro and only av the probe and bout 1cm of wire showin so i canput a cable tie round n cut it off to stop it pullin thro

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Nice set ups. What is the background room temperature over night?
Never went lower than about 18-20, even in Winter. I don't open the doors at night once the heat is off.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Nice set-up :)

I didn't think Volly was doing anymore custom vivs?
This was from July '12 - someone revived it as it's in my sig to help people ;)

I ordered a custom from him for my carpet though and paid early January (just before he stopped taking orders) i'm hoping to pick it up next week sometime :no1:

·
Registered
6,902 Posts

I ordered a custom from him for my carpet though and paid early January (just before he stopped taking orders) i'm hoping to pick it up next week sometime :no1:
My bad! :blush:

·
Registered
240 Posts

what u pay if u dnt mind me askin

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
what u pay if u dnt mind me askin
I paid £150 for the 4ft double stack with solid back and very specific measurements, i've just paid £125 for the arboreal viv again with a solid back, and very specific measurements : victory:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts