Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Folks,

Been wanting to get a lizard for some months now and thought id join up for some advice. My friend has a Bearded Dragon for a few years and loves him. I decided to go into a reptile store in my hone town of Ballymena Co Antrim and fell tottaly for 2 baby Giant Madagascan Day Gekos. Firstly, is this a good geko for starting and secondly is this a good animal friendly store? If not where else can i go? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i think i remember seeing somewhere that day geckos are very delicate and arent very ideal as starters but if u do alot of research and dont plan on handling them much their shouldnt be a problem, they are very different than beardies though.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hi

I have never kept day geckos, but have looked into them as my OH loves them too. They are stunning to look at aren't they!?!

In terms of being good for beginners, they're not too bad, but are not often recommended. They are not handleable, as their skin is very delicate. As they are arboreal gecko's, I imagine them to be similar to our crestie and velvet gecko's, who are relatively shy and therefore we rarely see them active.

Personally, I think as a first lizard I would go for a beardie or a leopard gecko, as they are both well known for being hardy, handleable, friendly and relatively easy in terms of care requirements.

Hope that helps a bit

Emma xXx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah absolutely amazing colours and mayb cause they were so small (although i think they grow every large), but kinda like the idea of being able to handle them, Mite be stupid question but can they be let out of their tank for a roam around or would it be totally impossible to get hold of them again?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You'd have a hell of a job getting them back in...... they can get ANYWHERE!!! their feet are sticky, therefore they can get up walls, along ceilngs, wherever, and being small, they are nippy too.

Of all our gecko's, I'd hate it most if the arboreal (sticky foot) ones escaped!

Emma xXx

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
they cant be handled to much as Emz said, but if you did not want to go as big as a beardie, have you had a look at the henri-lawsoni dragon (some call them a rankins dragon), only get to about 14'' long, and with the same temprement and personality as the beardie. its the dwarf BD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So best keep all gekos in their tank :)

Ok il have a look about thanks for ur advise, defo want one as they seem a nice pet to have.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
they are lovely geckos.
You can create beutiful set ups for them as they climb everywhere, love highish humidity so you can put in a mister or shallow moving water, lotsa fake plants, a nice bright basking at the top, loadsa stuff.
But not to be handled for any reason other than checking for signs of illness if suspected and for removing for cleaning id think.

Theres a few species of day gecko, the giant being the largest as yourd expect, others i know of but havent seen in person are the peacock and golddust [i think]
With all of the day geckos you only want one male but can have that with a few females if u like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts