Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I have purchased a Viv and am setting up our tank as we speak so far I have:

1 Exo terra Canopy with two full spectrum fluorescents repti-glow 2.0 and 1 35W terra spot sun lamp in the hood I have a temp gage and a humidifier gauge, these are both on timers for 12 hrs and are heating the tank to a max of 77 and a low when the lights are out before coming on in the morning of 69.

Underneath for heating on all the time I have a heat mat.

On a timer in the morning I have a fogger, which is hidden, in an exo terra medium waterfall, which takes the humidity to 90% dropping to around 70% throughout the day.

The substrate is a mix of Exo Plantation soil and exo terra Cocunut husk with a few large stones for decoration that have been sterilised and a backing for my plants attached to the screen so I can plant all the way to the top of the tank.

I have created a false bottom with 2 inches of clay pellets just to aid any drainage issues.

I am awaiting my plants to be delivered and have ordered a couple of orchids as well as some moss and a few other plants. From Dartfrog.co.uk

So now what should I go for? In this tank? I started thinking Red eyes but was told you hardly see them so perhaps Darts? Any recommendations and where I could get hold of them once the plants are in and the correct temps/humidity is reached

Thanks for your help

Joe

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
hi there, first thing you should be carfull of is heat spot bulbs, there bad news for frogs! i personaly dont use waterfalls as i find unless cleaned daily, or at least every other, they become breading grounds forr bacteria, crix die in them and thats not the kind of water you want a frog bathing in.

if you are new to frogs i would not recomend darts or red eyes as these are both fairly tricky frogs to keep.

every thing else seems ok, good choice of substrate, what size is the viv? exo terra?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply 45x45x60

Knightley why would they guy at triple 8 reptiles recomend these lights thats wierd??? seems strange he seemed to know what he was talking about, what bulb should i put in the Exo Terra cannopy instead then if I take it out will the temp not go down ? i suppose i could put a moonlight bulb in there for nighttime viewing

The waterfall i wasnt so sure about either i can always take it out if it becomes a pain, i wanted to use a fogger so i didnt have to mist it by hand every day and it was just handy this fitted in it, if i added Biozitine (or something like that) i was told i wouldnt have to clean it out as often, i may add some filtration system to the waterfall anyhow if i keep it thats my plan perhaps to pump the water out of the tank through some filtration and back in again, or maybe pump it through some hidden filtration medium in the tank what you reckon?

I know red Eyes and Darts are not easy to keep thats why im posting i suppose but the Whites and the Greens didnt really rock my boat, i wanted something a little more exciting if you can say that about frogs lol

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Lights and frogs in general dont really mix, as the heat/light given odd tends to dry out the frogs to much rather then heating them up. Frogs will lives in dark damp places so dont do well with any light sources really. HOwever a UV is needed with some speces but these are often low watage and wont dry frogs out.

My viv was initially designed fro frogs but now houses lizards:p. But mine is a live plant exo terra, have a free running water fall i made which has its own pump and filter. The filter is great at keeping the water clean all i do is top it up every few days. If the pumb/filter ever dies i have to destroy my whole tank to get to it as i didnt think the design out to well lol.

I recomend some sord of cleaner insect in there as well such as spring tails or woodlice as they will clean up any mess.

If you fancy red eyes, go for adults and do alot of research. Juviniles have a very high death rate and are difficult to keep alive. Adults arnt to bad, hard but can be done so long as you do alot of research. There are also a few species of dart frogs that can be kept by beginers. However, they do require alot of research and work, but it can be done.

Jay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jay thanks for the useful info i will have a look at lower wattage lights but i do intend to keep the tank very humid with the fogger which again i would prefer outside the tank, i will continue to research the Dart frogs i think and try and find a more beginer type frog, spring tails or woddlice sound fantastic would the frogs eat them or visa versa lol and where would you get them?

I am going to think how i can build my own waterfall, well i could use this exo terra one with some sealant but have an external resovoir as i dont want anything drowning including crickets ;O)

Lights and frogs in general dont really mix, as the heat/light given odd tends to dry out the frogs to much rather then heating them up. Frogs will lives in dark damp places so dont do well with any light sources really. HOwever a UV is needed with some speces but these are often low watage and wont dry frogs out.

My viv was initially designed fro frogs but now houses lizards:p. But mine is a live plant exo terra, have a free running water fall i made which has its own pump and filter. The filter is great at keeping the water clean all i do is top it up every few days. If the pumb/filter ever dies i have to destroy my whole tank to get to it as i didnt think the design out to well lol.

I recomend some sord of cleaner insect in there as well such as spring tails or woodlice as they will clean up any mess.

If you fancy red eyes, go for adults and do alot of research. Juviniles have a very high death rate and are difficult to keep alive. Adults arnt to bad, hard but can be done so long as you do alot of research. There are also a few species of dart frogs that can be kept by beginers. However, they do require alot of research and work, but it can be done.

Jay

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
My tank, as i said was origionall designed for frogs, it was going to be a live planted reed tank, but other more interesting things came up :p.

Sine you have a false bottom with hydrolca clay balls its easy, i assume u have a gorner of the viv sith access to the false bottom to create a pond effect). get hold of a few quid indor water pumb off ebay (mine was £1.99), sit it in the false bottom, run a pipe up behing the exo false back in the groves provided, when you reach the desired hight, cut a hole in the backing and bring the pipe out and cut off at the deseride length. The simply crate somthing for the water to run down, and you have a water fall. its easy.

Welcome to www.pollywog.co.uk for information on all aspects of amphibian herpetoculture have some awesome step by step guides.

p.s. crickets always drown stupid things.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Knightley why would they guy at triple 8 reptiles recomend these lights thats wierd??? seems strange he seemed to know what he was talking about
well he obviously dont! he just makes money from selling stuff!

heat bulbs dry out the air and if your frog falls asleep under it he is going to be in some serious sh*t, dead or blistered. spot bulbs just direct heat with in the beam of the bulb, and unless thermosated will just keep hotting up. they are great for lizards or waxy monkey frogs, but for your average soft skined, moist tree frog there not worth a wa*k!!!

U.V is needed on dart frogs and red eyes, but if you just want another bulb just go for a 15 wat day glow, they are not very bright and are not harmful to your frog.

the water fall will be fine if properly filtered, but i would just put the fogger in a dish some where rechable as they use the water pretty quick and you dont want the waterfall and filter to run dry, as it will burn the motors out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well he obviously dont! he just makes money from selling stuff!

heat bulbs dry out the air and if your frog falls asleep under it he is going to be in some serious sh*t, dead or blistered. spot bulbs just direct heat with in the beam of the bulb, and unless thermosated will just keep hotting up. they are great for lizards or waxy monkey frogs, but for your average soft skined, moist tree frog there not worth a wa*k!!!

U.V is needed on dart frogs and red eyes, but if you just want another bulb just go for a 15 wat day glow, they are not very bright and are not harmful to your frog.

the water fall will be fine if properly filtered, but i would just put the fogger in a dish some where rechable as they use the water pretty quick and you dont want the waterfall and filter to run dry, as it will burn the motors out.
when i get home i will check out what the wattage of the spot is, he just seemed very knowledgeable in most areas of frog keeping when i was chatting, but hey ho I know what your saying, the fogger in a dish looks kind of pathetic IMHO but i know what your saying it does get through water pretty quick, i may pump the fogger into the tank yet anyhow, , i am trying to go for a nice look, with some nice plants a waterfall, some nice frogs athestically pleasing to the eye, but thanks for the help dont suppose you could do something about that terrible Logo you have :lol2: Up the hammers :Na_Na_Na_Na:

This is the spot it has Exo Terra - Products: Sun Glo Halogen Spot

Could i use a LED red light for nightime viewing instead of the Sun Glo?
12 x LED GU10 lamp, 230V AC - Red - Lamps - SoloTechnic

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you are serious about keeping dartfrogs then get yourself registered on Dendroworld • Index page and get doing some research. Providing you use some common sense and stick to the rules they are easy enough to keep. Just do plenty of reading/research BEFORE you buy any frogs.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
dont suppose you could do something about that terrible Logo you have :lol2: Up the hammers :Na_Na_Na_Na:
now now, just because we are the best in england..... OH and europe no need to hate us, we let you have points when you need them lol.

yeah the fogger in a dish does look pretty silly but it has to be in the viv some were as it drifts out and is not excelled with any force. you can get a hide thing that the fogger goes in and it looks like a tree stump, but im sure you will think of something.

as for the bulb i think wires may have been crossed as that is NOT a spot heat bulb, its just a viewing light and they are fine! this is what i thought you was on about, just saw the word sun and the alarm bells started ringing! lol

Exo Terra - Products: Sun Glo Tight Beam

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
cool thanks for everyones help glad my light is good as i said the guy at triple 8 reptiles seemed to know what he was on about, i did buy a nightime bulb as well as the exo terra clip on ceramic light but the light is so pathetic im not sue you will even be able to see anything at night with it, im yet to use it at night though.

So back to the drawingboard and some thinking as to how i intend to build this filter into the tank with the fogger or outside mmmmmm will keep you all posted

Any advice on the plants i purchased for the viv ?

Java moss
Oncidium species (white)
Neoregelia liliputiana
Ficus pumila sunny pot
Purple Tradescantia fluminensis tricolor
Dendrobium kingianum

Cheers

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts