Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it says, can you people introduce me to your scorpions, and recommend them or not? Pics would be gr8!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I think its generally considered an Emporer to be the most suitable scorp for a beginner...although my misses WILL NOT let me have a black one :lol2:

Bearing this in mind im going to get a desery species, more than likely a Deserty Hairy but possibly an S. Maurus. Not sure of the S.Maurus common name mind, maybe Israeli Gold or something?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I think its generally considered an Emporer to be the most suitable scorp for a beginner...although my misses WILL NOT let me have a black one :lol2:

Bearing this in mind im going to get a desery species, more than likely a Deserty Hairy but possibly an S. Maurus. Not sure of the S.Maurus common name mind, maybe Israeli Gold or something?
Pretty much yeah, the Maurus just looks like a small emperor but coloured like a desert hairy :lol2: Lovely species though.

Desert hairies are probably one of the best desert species to look out for in all honesty, theyre agressive though so watch out. Even though they wont really harm you if you get tagged. (unless your allergic of course). :whistling2:

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
i've recently got an emp scorp, and am really happy with it, she's my first scorp, (wont be my last), shes a nice size and laid back, so easy to handle, also looks very nice.

heres some pics

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Emps are very impressive to look at but they have an annoying tendency to bury themselves away so you may not see them for days/weeks on end. Of course the set up of their tank will determine to some extent how much you do see of them. I've got 5, 2 adults and 3 juveniles. 2 of the juveniles made an appearance the other night after a month of being hidden!

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
Emps are very impressive to look at but they have an annoying tendency to bury themselves away so you may not see them for days/weeks on end. Of course the set up of their tank will determine to some extent how much you do see of them. I've got 5, 2 adults and 3 juveniles. 2 of the juveniles made an appearance the other night after a month of being hidden!

mine has never hidden away yet :2thumb:comes out every night to explore and feed, and goes under a bit of bark during the day,

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I've 3 baby emps, previously had adults and one baby.
Emplings are very cute!
Absolutely brilliant beasties, I love them. One of my little emplings is very bold and out exploring/digging all the time. The other 2 were dug up a few days ago because I was worried they might be dead I'd not seen them in so long!

Put pics of them in the invert picture gallery a few days ago.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but would u say that handling wise their agressiveness is a bit like that of some snakes - ie due to your mistake like touching the head etc... or is it completely random? And also, how do you find out if youre allergic before it bites you=] ?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
And also, how do you find out if youre allergic before it bites you=] ?
I doubt very much you can. There is probably some flash, expensive way to find out but not really a realistic option.

Besides, the best thing to do is make sure you never get stung!! Although i wouldnt worry too much about it...its the same as a bee/wasp sting, if you allergic to that your in trouble and they fly around us free all the time.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
...adding to the above, if handling is your thing mind could be a good idea to get someone who already has experience of handling them to show you the ropes, or if not then maybe watch some videos of people handling them and getting them on to their hands. It will all come down to technique i'd imagine.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I've always found emperors easy to handle.
Pick them up by the tail and slide a hand underneath and they'll sit there quite happily. Try not to breath on them, they are covered in very sensitive hairs and they don't like it very much.
There are LOADS of videos on youtube, one I saw though the woman just shoves her hand underneath the scorpion from the front, which is really just asking for trouble. Some others you'll see people stroking the back of the scorpion, again really wouldn't recommend this, at least not without the other hand holding the tail!

But as is the case with handling most inverts- just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. :)

Oh, one bad thing about emps- they do not kill small insect pray before eating it, and its pretty gross watching an alive cricket getting eaten bum first while its still trying to run away!
And you can hear the 'crunch crunch crunch' as well.
Of course, when baby emps are running around with faces stuffed with half eaten crickets its simply adorable :flrt:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Yeah i havnt had the need to handle my T yet and have only recently got 2 more...i dont ever intend to handle them (unless really needed) and from what ive read the same principals apply to scorps.

I think the misses has given in and agreed for me to get a scorp...ill be going for the desert hairy and from what ive read/heard these are cracking scorps.

Suppose its personal preference, if you like all scorps then id go for the emps...plus these can be kept communally if you fancied getting more down the line. Not sure if there are any problems associated with this mind, maybe others can advise?

I have the problem with the misses hating the 'black colour' ones, so its a desert for me :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Suppose its personal preference, if you like all scorps then id go for the emps...plus these can be kept communally if you fancied getting more down the line. Not sure if there are any problems associated with this mind, maybe others can advise?

I have the problem with the misses hating the 'black colour' ones, so its a desert for me :2thumb:

if she doesnt like black scorps try a red claw.

to get the really attractive scorps you sadly need a DWA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts