Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some Leopard geckos in two weeks and just wanted some advice.

I have a heat mat and mat stat, a moist hide and two other hides so they have plenty of places to hide out in. I was told by the shop to put a 40watt normal bulb in the middle of the viv to provide light for the day time ???

I was going to use bark chippings but have decided against this, does anyone know where to get Reptile carpet from in the uk ????

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hiya

Firstly, the stat and heatmat are perfect, and so are the number of hides.

You don't technically "need" a bulb for leo's, as thy are nocturnal, and a 40w will pobably raise the temperature too much.

If you want a day/night cycle, i use a florescent tube on a starter unit (not uv, there's no need) to simulate night and day for them.

As for repti carpet, try here:

Zoo Med Repti Cage Carpet

Plus, they do one delivery charge for however much you order, do see what else you feel you might need too.

Hope that helps!

Emma xXx

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
if youre starting out maybe try lino,kitchen roll or paper instead of rep carpet,specially if they are small as its pretty rough on their noses when they go for their food lol,also emz is right a 40w bulb will get your viv quite warm,i do use a 40w blue reflector bulb for my leo only because thats what he had b4 i had him,so his mat comes on intermitantly,as outside temp drops this is not ideal so im thinking of down grading to a 30/20w reflector as i gives off heat without harse light which they dont need,my day temp is 85ish and the mat kicks in around 78 id rather it be on all the time tho so like i say poss downgrade,anyways good luck with your leo/leos the are a real joy :razz:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks

I will go for the kitchen roll I think the three females and 6 months and the male is seven, I am keeping the male in a 2ft viv till the females are around 50g does this sound about right

would a heat mat still be fine in a 4ft viv ?? with a lforescent tube ???

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hi, how big is the heatmat, and also how big with the width and height of the viv? What furnishings have you got and where, in fact, do you have any pics?? :) :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The heat mat is half the size of the 4ft and the same for the 2ft viv. I have three hides for 4ft and two for two ft both are 14" width and 11" high and what wattage fluorescent tubes ?????

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
cant answer the tube wattage as i said i use reflectors,but your mats sound spot on,half the size of the tank,the 50g sounds ok but watch the age if youre breeding as they may be heavy enough but not mature enough,youre doing the right thing asking questions on here,no matter how insignificant they seem some1 will advise you,i can only say what ive done,2ft viv,mossy hide warm end,hide cool end and hollow log in the middle,he never uses other hides to my knowledge,just uses different ends of log,some greenery which gives more hidey places,water bowl,calcium dish(i use grated cuttlefish)therms as youve said each end,stat probe on floor at warm end,lino on floor,i feed mainly crix,occ hoppers and a few waxies per week,he hates mealworm tho,think youll be fine and youll have happy leos:razz:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
u want the fluroescent tube just for light yes?
in which case any wattage, just enough to give the day time effect, but u could also use just a little mini lightbulb.
also u dont need anything atall technically... ur alright with just the lighting from the room.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
As Dean says, you could get away with nothing, but I found in wooden vivs, when I was out all day, it got a bit dark, then at night, I'd get in and whack the lights on and they'd go to sleep!!!

Mine I think is 18W which is 20" long. Really whatever you can find cheaply. You would also need an aquarium starter unit, something like this:
Convertagear T8 Linear - Lighting Starter Unit

I know some people use the light tubes with built in starters you put under kitchen units and things as well...

Eterna Concealed Striplight Push Switch 360mm 60W - Screwfix Direct, Everything for the Trade, Next Day!

Like that, just put it in the viv, attached to the back, feed the wire through a hole, plug it in to a segment timer and there you go, instant day and night.

I know that won't work in all viv's, but in leo's dry environment, where they don't climb, it's fine :)

Hope that helps!!!

Emma xXx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts