Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All

My name is Keeley and I have only just signed up to this Forum this morning. I have only had "Dolly" for about a month after wanting one for years.

I purchased her from the Exotic Pet Shop, and the gent who owns it helped set up my viv & lighting. She is nearly 3 years old and i have not hibernated her this year.

Ive been reading a few posts with regards to food, and Dolly doesnt eat weeds, I'm struggling with food to give her. I have seen all the lists on Edible Plants and Weeds, but if im honest I dont know one from the other.

Dolly has been eating lettuce, broccolli, grated carrots and some cabbage, but she leaves the weeds to one side.

Also another query I have is the calcuim substrate that the exoctic shop sells me - its like pellets and i use it to put on the floor of her viv (and she can nibble on them aswell so im told) Have I got the wrong stuff in her Viv? Only some threads mention sand?

Now I'm thinking that I'm not caring for her properly and I would never want to cause her any problems?

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Lettuse is a no no as it can give them the runs, cabbage and brocoloi is best not at all though some say very small amounts are ok. Personally i don't use them. Russian tortoises require a high fiber, low protein, and calcium rich diet. Fruits should not be offered regularly since they contain high levels of sugar, which can create digestive problems. Do not feed high protein items since excessive protein may cause renal failure or impacted bladder stones which can result in the death of the russian tortoise. A mixture of edible grasses and clovers, hibiscus leaves and flowers, alfalfa and other grass hays, water cress, dandelion, rose leaves and petals, sow thistle, romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, endive, escarole, kale, cactus pods can be fed to your tortoise. If feeding lawn clippings or plants from the garden it is important to make sure that the surrounding area is not chemically treated. There are also commercially produced foods that can be used to supplement feedings, though it should not be the sole source of food.
As for calium use limestone flour....it looks like flour and you just dust the food. Also use Nutrobol once a week. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Please get rid of the viv-if you dont your tortoise will die,an old drawer would be better filled with 50/50 top soil and playsand(quite deep as horsefields like to dig) a 60watt spot lamp would be fine for heat and auv bulb.
Dont feed any fruit or veg,of course if you offer them with weeds she is going to choose the fruit first-take tham away and stick with the weeds-she will give in eventually,they can go weeks without food,its water thats more important,give her warm baths daily.
hth

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Hi Keely
Welcome to tortoise keeping

**I purchased her from the Exotic Pet Shop, and the gent who owns it helped set up my viv & lighting.**

Unfortunately your gent conned you - not your fault ;)

** She is nearly 3 years old and i have not hibernated her this year.**

Also on the advice of the reptile shop???

**Ive been reading a few posts with regards to food, and Dolly doesnt eat weeds,**

She will if you give her nothing else ;)

** I'm struggling with food to give her. I have seen all the lists on Edible Plants and Weeds, but if im honest I dont know one from the other.**

Go to Tortoises where you will see illutrations to help you ID them.

**Dolly has been eating lettuce, broccolli, grated carrots and some cabbage, but she leaves the weeds to one side.**

You need to throw out the cabbage, broccoli, carrots and most lettuces. Any member of the cabbage family will stop her being able to take calcium up to assist in healthy bone formation. Just give her weeds. She WILL eat them.

**Also another query I have is the calcuim substrate that the exoctic shop sells me - its like pellets and i use it to put on the floor of her viv (and she can nibble on them aswell so im told) Have I got the wrong stuff in her Viv? Only some threads mention sand?**

Yes this stuff is not calcium based but alfalfa pellets. It is lethal to tortosies especially russians as they need a very low protein intake. In the wild russians only feed for three- four months of the year and then only very low protein diet. They also need low humidity for the most part so she needs to come out of the viv ASAP to avoid respiratory, kidney problems and stress

**Now I'm thinking that I'm not caring for her properly and I would never want to cause her any problems?**

Again go to Tortoises and feed and house your tortoise as shown there. The only difference I would say is to give a much deeper substrate ans russians love to burrow.
Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts