Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys can anyone tell me does my tortoise require uva /uvb lighting in an outside enclosure or just a heater....... Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
I
Hey guys can anyone tell me does my tortoise require uva /uvb lighting in an outside enclosure or just a heater....... Thanks
If your outdoor enclosure has an open top - no glass or plastic, then your tortoise should receive all it's uva and uvb from natural daylight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I
If your outdoor enclosure has an open top - no glass or plastic, then your tortoise should receive all it's uva and uvb from natural daylight.
Great thanks very much so just a heater then yeah, that's all he needs for overnight, also could you tell me if a full spectrum bulb provides uva/uvb/IR waves or do I need to get one for uva/uvb and another for IR?...... Thanks

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
No heat overnight, the tortoise will thermoregulate by digging into the soil. You only need uvb under cover for bad weather periods. You mustn’t put lamps in the open, they must be under cover. The sun gives all the uv he needs on sunny days, depending on the angle of the sun ie early morning or late afternoon gives far less than midday. In U.K. of course the sun gives less of the vital uvb rays, but this is offset by tortoises basking for longer hours in the U.K., rather than hiding away in the shade as they tend to do during the middle of the day in their natural habitat. You don’t need infra red other than for basking on cooler less sunny days and then it must be a clear infra red bulb, never a red bulb. Hope this makes sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts