Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am getting my first tortoise on tuesday, a 3 month old spur thighed. I have built a tort table, as i read that they are much better for your tortoises health.

I currently have a bark substrate, but after reading on the internet i am going to take it out and use a 60/40 mix of sand and soil. I have a tile for feeding on, a water dish, a arch piece of wood and some rocks, is there anything else i need????

I am using a 60 watt bulb in the basking area and the temperature below it is 82, is this ok???
I need a UV light, but have no clue which one to buy? and where to buy it from, also should it be positioned 6 inches above the substrate? also is the UV used for light and essential vitamins, and not for heat?

sorry for all the questions i just want to have his/her home set up correctly before i have him/her. :? Thanks

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
a UVB light such as a Reptisun 5.0 would be fine for a spur thighed uvb's dont give out heat they are to help with processing the calcium for their shells good luck with ur tort hope to see some pics :D

sorry about all the editing its late and i kept messing up my spellings :lol:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Please say you are getting him from a breeder? :lol: and not a petshop!
Definatly take the bark out and use 50/50 of playsand and top soil. if you can get higher than 5% uvb then that would be better either 8-10% would be better, you can buy them online or an aquatic/pet shop might sell them.
glad you have sorted out a tortoise table!

·
Registered
123 Posts
the uv doesnt give out heat ( i dont think) but it is essential for vits like you said. It should be about 6 inches away from the tort any further and he wont get the benifit. dont put it too close though or he'll end up climbing on it! :lol:

·
Banned
3,993 Posts

As Kerry says, if you are getting from a dealer/petshop/garden centre/reptile seller then think again. Join the new Tortoise Ptotection Group to see what happens to imported torts. Hopefully soon it wll be a thing of the past and all these dodgy dealers will be out of business.
We can give lots of links to legitimate breeders. Just cancel any orders from pet shops or online sellers, they will be wild caught and probably not live long :( Please do not support this evil trade

1 - 6 of 6 Posts