Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new here and would like some advice from you good people.

I have been offered a 2 year old 3 and half foot royal python with a vivarium which is 2ft high, 3 ft wide and 16 inches deep. It is a glass vivarium and the royal has never had any problems shedding and is currently eating medium mice.

I would like to know if there would be any problems keeping the royal in this vivarium or should I look into another one.

Would this royal also be suitable for my 9 year old to handle??

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

G

·
personally i wouldnt even consider keeping a royal in an all glass viv as it can stress them and make then stop feeding...i would use a wooden viv.
royals are generally a very calm,tame species so good for your 9 year old.

i would go for it....what equipment are you getting with it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Apparently the viv was bought seperatle from the snake but does have the equipment needed, will know more tomorrow when I have a look. With regards to it being all glass, is there anything I can get to cover 3 of the sides so that it doesn't stress the royal??

The viv will be against a wall so that may do it for one of the sides????

Thanks again for the advice so far

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
if the royal is feeding and shedding fine then the home it is used to is fine and dont yet ur child handle the animal with out you as they can be supprisingy strong :D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
you could cover the sides and back and whatever needs covering with black paper

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Royal

Hi

I have an 18 month old Royal in an all glass Exo Terra viv.
I have covered the back and two sides with dark green paper bought from Hobbycraft.
Heating is a Pearlco ceramic mounted above the viv.
Several hides and climbing branches are provided which the snake uses regularly.
The Royal feeds eagerly , striking at medium mice offered with tongs also sheddig well , so doesnt appear to be stressed

regards

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks to all of you for the help and info.

I will let you all know the outcome and post some pics if we agree to take it.

Thanks again

·
Registered
176 Posts
the backgrounds are really nice. i use them on all my vivs. also make sure it has 2 places to hide..one in the warm end of tank and another in the cool end.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Trouble is, even if you cover glass vivs the snake is still surrounded by a reflective surface in which it will be able to see it's own movement - unless you cover the glass from the inside.

A lot of it will be down to where the viv is situated - a glass viv in a quiet room would most likely be better than a wooden viv in a high-traffic area.

All comes down to the individual snake - if this one seems happy and feeds consistently/confidently in the glass viv then keep it that way.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
The viv' is certainly big enough for him but as said Royals are very secretive animals and often like to shy away and hide. An all glass viv exposes him and will stress him out. Having said that is he's happy in it then OK but you could have problems in the future. Also take into consideration where the ROyal was kept last time. It very well may have been in a shelf where three sides were covered anyway :?:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yep, just ask loads of questions and find out as much as you can about how/where it is currently kept - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If you do get any problems then the other options are still available - covering the glass viv, using a wooden viv or plastic tub, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help. I have been over and had a look at the royal and am going to save it from its current plight. I am also going to have to get a new viv as the one it is in I don't think is suitable as it has a sliding lid at the top so you are always having to reach in from above and also the heatmat is stuck to the back of the tank which looking at it doesn't seem to be given it enough heat. The royal does look in good health though but just needs a new home. I am collecting tomorrow so will post some pics soon.

Thanks again for all the info, its really appreciated and thanks for making me feel welcome on this forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts