1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ON the subject of water for our snakes.

Am i ok using tap water? or do they prefere buxton spring, lol

Does it need to be warmed?

I am going to be changing it every day, is this too often?

How much is too much?

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Slapshot said:
1. I am going to be changing it every day, is this too often?

2. How much is too much?

Thanks in advance for your help
1. Thats fine fresh water every day will probably be much appreciated by your rep

2. Enough to fully submerge / swim / drown in is probably too much. Small bowl about 1/2 full ?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I use tap water,but I put it in a bottle for a few hours to get it to room temp first,change it every day, and make sure any reps can get out of the bowl if they get in it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point well made

Tap water all the way, like the idea of getting it to room temp first.

Once agian the forum gives you the answers you need.

Cheers

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
glad to be of service. :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Same here - cold tap water, and put straight into the viv.

I heard somewhere that bottled water could be bad for them due to the higher mineral content - not sure how true this is though.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I've got some empty squash bottles that I fill up with tap water and use them to top them up... This is mainly because I can't be arsed going back downstairs to fetch more water though! :oops:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I use tap water too.. Not that I am too tight to buy bottled water but if tap water is safe for us then I see no reason why it is not for reptiles..

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Genetic said:
I also add a reptile water conditioner to the tap water which removes chlorine, chloramines, and ammonia, and adds essential electrolytes (including calcium).

Paul.
i do the same tap water with water conditioner to remove fluride and add electrolytes and calcium.

I change all my reps water once every two days...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
allowing the water to stand for a little while before giving it to the herps also helps with the reduction of the chemicals..

(i use tap water too..)

N

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info, a trip to the pet shop again for another bit of stuff I think, and i thiught this would be a cheap hobby, arghhhhhh

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Slapshot said:
Thanks for the info, a trip to the pet shop again for another bit of stuff I think, and i thiught this would be a cheap hobby, arghhhhhh
Your kidding!!?? I spend a GDP of a small african country on all of mine! As eijj says wait till u get more and try lizards they are even more expensive!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts