Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, great forum.
I have for some years fancied keeping a snake.
Bought a book on Royals a year or so ago and thought yes, a royal would be nice despite the potential feeding difficulties.
Anyway been doing a bit more research and came across a Hog Island Boa and now have a few questions regarding such snake.

1, What is the size comparison between an adult royal and Hog ( male and female )

2, I have read that royals like a relatively small viv which would suit me as space could be an issue. Could an adult Hog be kept in the same size viv as an adult Royal ? ( 36" I think I read )

3, Haven't done as much research on a Hog so are they relatively easy to keep compared to a Royal ? ( im a responsible adult by the way )

4, Does anybody have any other recommendations on similar snakes. ( Don't want anything much bigger than an adult Royal ) and dont fancy a corn despite maybe being the best for a novice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Cant help you with the hogg questions but as to other snakes.. if you dont like corns have you thought of maybe kingsnakes, rat snakes or milksnakes??

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I had a royal for my first snake...had him about a year now and everything has been fine (touch wood).

I have just bough a dwarf boa and shes gorgeous, dont seem to be too difficult to look after either, a lot like the common boa...i believe she will top out at around the 4ft mark.

In my experience (although its not much) both would be good snakes and would just depend what kind of snake your after. For example...I NEVER see my royal out of his cave and even after a year is still a little wary when its time to come out to be handled. However he does settle down as soon as hes in your hands. On the other hand the dwarf boa is a lot more active and not nearly as shy as the royal. But saying all this each snake will have its own attitude anyway, you might end up with a shy boa or a lively royal.

Sorry for a long post, just thought u might like an opinion from someone who has both types :D hope this helps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
1. Male hog island can be about 6 feet and females tend to be bigger. a male royal is onyl about 4 feet and females can reach about 5 and a half to 6 feet max.

2. Yes royals prefer to be in small vivs. with nice hides and a 36" would certainly suffice for all males and most females provided they do not exceed 5 feet. I would recomend a male for a 36" tank. A hogg island boa would certainly not fit into a 36" tank, unless it is a very small male, it would have to be about 4 feet, but he'd be very cramped...

3. I have not too much experince keeping hoggies, BUT i did keep one for a while and never had a problem. much the same as keeping a royal python tbh... youngstors will have a pop if you annoy them too much or move quickly infront of their eyes... but shouldn't be any problems at all.

4. As NNY said, if you do not fancy corns, how about looking up king snakes and milk snakes...? If you don't like corn snakes, you wouldn't be likely to like rat snakes. I would also recomend you look up western hognose's. they are very small, females only threaten the 3 feet mark and a nice snake to keep.

GazEmm, your royal python is displaying normal behavior, they will tend to hide most of the time, only adults tend not to be so frightened, so when it is at the 3 or 4 years time, he will fine to be outside in your presence, much like corns, milks, kings etc... boas tend to be less frightened and don't hide too much even when they are young, they are more tolerant of people oggling them in their vivs.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
There ya go then...Hoggs get a bit bigger than the one ive got, ive got a crawl cay and they will be about 4ft. Tad more expensive than a Hogg mind so not sure you would wanna pay that for a 1st snake.

Suppose its down to personal preference...i dont think either snake is much harder then the other to care for.

Do you prefer Boas or Royals??

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
both my boas live in 3ft vivs, but were born around may time so there not that big (2ft if that) but in 2 to 3 years i will have to buy/build some bigger vivs to house them! saying that i let mine wander out in the room onto some java tree i have which they love.

ive never dealt with royals but a pastel boa was my first snake and ive had absolutely no trouble and have just bought my second boa today, a nice anery female and she seems to be settling in nicely.

just depends on what size snake you are wanting, mine will range between 8 and 12ft when fully grown.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I keep both Royals and Hoggs and they are both brilliant. Royals can be a bit fussy about feeding as I had one who wouldn't and lost loads of weight but by constant variation has begun feeding though very privately. My largest male Royal has had a fixation on chicks which is aking some time to move him from but two days ago he decided he loves gerbils!!
\both my Hoggs are very very placid females around a year old 600gms each and over 3ft. I say palcid, that is until Monday nights at feed time when they will strike at the glass as soo as you get nywhere near the viv but apart from that are great and will happily tolerate being handled by the children. If you're new to keeping but have suffiient space to end up with a four or five foot viv then the Hoggs could be the ones. I'm just glad I don't have to choose and can have both!! Be careul if buying a Hogg, geting a pure bred ain't as easy as you might think and will be expensive, in fact for the cost of one cb Hogg baby you could buy 4 Royals at least!!
Good luck with your choice but please make sure you have the time, money and knowledge to look after whatever snake you get and that the viv is well prepared before you even buy the snake. There is another post here from someone who has ordered a Boa and NOW wants a caresheet, talk about arse about face, I pity the snake!
I've posted a number of pictures on this forum of both my Royals and Hoggs if you want a look.

Replika

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
ianyork said:
just depends on what size snake you are wanting, mine will range between 8 and 12ft when fully grown.
Your pastel will max out at 6 foot I would say I have seen the parents both not over six foot! A BCI over 8 foot is not seen often!

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Hi Bully, I think most answers were given here, so I'm not gonna say what others probably already said.

One thing you should consider is that you will probably get a baby, and they won't need a bigger viv for a few years. When my ball reaches adulthood I will try to keep her in a 3 x 2 x 2 viv to see how she copes. At the mo she's 3 1/2 foot and is happily living in a 3 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 viv.

My hogs are still yearlings, thye still have quite a lot to grow so only time can tell how big they will be, etc. I reckon a 4 x 2 x 2 will be good enoguh for an adult pair, but again, I'll be checking from time to time, for me space won't be an issue so I can try different things as they grow bigger.

One thing you should bear in mind (I won't start this argument again), is that if you go for hogs, you should try and get advice to make sure you get one as pure as possible. It's know many hogs these days a cross breed with BCC or other BCI's and tend to grow a lot bigger than pure ones.

Just not to sit on the fence, I can see by your comments that you're more inclined to get a boid, so if I were you I'd get yourself a royal because they are cheaper and not very difficult to keep. Also, on the' being fussy eaters ' thing, it's true but there is a bit of a myth as well. I know many people who have roayls and have no troubles getting them to feed. Normally they are particularly fussy for a while right after you buy them, but once they get used to the new environment, they become great feeders. I've got no doubts to say my royal is the best feeder out of all my snakes.

·
Registered
597 Posts
One thing you should bear in mind (I won't start this argument again), is that if you go for hogs, you should try and get advice to make sure you get one as pure as possible. It's know many hogs these days a cross breed with BCC or other BCI's and tend to grow a lot bigger than pure ones.
agreed, theres always someone trying to pawn off pure hoggs and the hoggs are far from pure. ive posted this site like 3 times now but check out http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/com.html their all about proper breeding and they dont breed one specie to another. if they dont have any on their for sale section, email them, they might have some not listed or some coming :)

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I like this web site as well, very nicely done :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
andyj5447 said:
ianyork said:
Your pastel will max out at 6 foot I would say I have seen the parents both not over six foot! A BCI over 8 foot is not seen often!
ah right, just going with what i was told, if you could pm some more info on the parents id be very grateful andy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts