Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've agreed to let my 10 year old start keeping a snake as I've had various reptiles and amphibians when I was a youngster.
Consensus of opinion seems to be that a Corn snake is the easiest option for a beginner but I'd be grateful for a few pointers before we dive in.

Are the starter kits available from various suppliers a good option.

The space we have available for a viv would take a 24x15 which I hope is big enough.

I've seen in various places figures of 15 to 20 quid for a hatchling but there seems to be no top end depending on variations, what should I expect to pay for a hatchling or juvenile and which of those would be best to start with.

Forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to buy snakes or exotic pets in general to be delivered by mail.
Somehow the image of the local postie with a Python wrapped round his neck springs to mind. :?

And lastly does anyone know where, within reach of Merseyside, I could take him to see and possibly handle any Corns as although he's handled snakes before I'd like to make totally sure he's okay with them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
corns are great first snakes.

Forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to buy snakes or exotic pets in general to be delivered by mail.
Somehow the image of the local postie with a Python wrapped round his neck springs to mind. Confused
lol this made me laugh. i remember i bought a 5ft boa off of a guy and he sent it via ups, the ups driver who brought the package to me was intrigued to see what was inside, so i opened the package up at the front door and pulled out this fairly decent sized snake, the guy turned white as a ghost and nearly fell down the stairs lol, priceless moments.

and to answer your question yes Reptiles/Snakes can be Shipped by a courier usally TNT i guess, ive never done it in england but heard thats what most people use

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Personally I'd say that starter kits aren't really a good option - there's usually some essential piece of kit that's missing and other stuff included that you don't need.

For a hatchling corn, to start with you'd need:

One of these as a home for the first few months:
http://www.camzoo.co.uk/pd914208471.htm?categoryId=10

A heat mat:
http://www.camzoo.co.uk/pd1392741484.htm?categoryId=15

(The Faunarium would sit with one end (between 25%-50% of it's length) over the mat. The stat probe would be taped to the surface of the mat.)

A thermostat (an essential often missing from starter kits):
http://www.camzoo.co.uk/pd-1167048544.htm?categoryId=12

Thermometer, something like this:
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=140

Also, a small water bowl, kitchen towel as substrate and small cardboard boxes/tubes as hides - use one each end.

Once it has grown a bit it could then go into a 24" viv but you'd need a bigger viv once if reached about 3ft long. 36"x18"x18" would be ok for an average sized adult corn.

Personally I'd start with a hatchling, prices vary but the most important thing is to make sure it has some kind of feeding record with it and has fed at least 3 or 4 times before you buy it.

Cheers,

Mark.

G

·
0 Posts
Prices for corns vary considerably and run from 10-15£ upto £150 depending on morph.

The most general corn hatchlings will cost from between £10-50 depending on the morph you are after.

As an adult i would advise for a viv 36x15x15 as a minimum but that will be 2-3 years down the line.As a hatch;ing you could use a plastic shoebox with heatmat and stat and then move onto a 2 or 3 foot viv.

The starter kits are not to bad but as they have an all mesh lid they do not keep the humidity in for when the snake in in slough(shed) so i personally would only use one as a last resort.There are many good care sheets around for corn snakes and you should find it an ideal first snake for child.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts