Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
17,072 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum.

Do you know why you lost your Musk? Young Musks really do not cope well with deep water and need lots of resting places and to be able to sit with their heads out of the water, plus of course walking along the bottom of the tank. Adults seem to like to stand on their back legs with their heads out of the water. Mixing species is not always a good idea.

Having looked at your photo - a good sized tank, but it does appear to have a lot of condensation on the inside. Does it have a lid? Obviously not on the right hand end as there is a basking light. Turtle tanks should not have lids.

I don't know what age/size your turtle is, but room temperature water 20c is usually fine with a basking area 10c warmer. Does he ever bask as the lamp seems to be rather a long way away from the basking area?

I think I would remove the stack of stones and use a purpose made Zoo Med dock (depends on size/weight of turtle) or a piece of cork bark. This would stop any waste getting in between the stones.

I would also fill the tank up (presumably that is the cabinet it came with so there are no concerns regarding weight and strength ect!) and provide some wood, plastic plants if you don't want real ones and use some of the stones so he can sit and hide in/on them as he wants.

We don't use that particular filter so I don't know anything about them, but which media are you using? We use Alfagrog. From the photo it appears that the inlet and outlet are at opposite ends, which is obviously correct.

The cleaning of tanks and filters often comes up in posts. We very rarely clean ours as the filters do an excellent job. Too much cleaning of the filter sponges/media etc can do more harm than good. We do check the tanks regularly and they do need topping up fairly often.

I think that is it! Please don't think I am criticising in any shape or form. I am just running through some of the things that came to mind, and hope that I have been helpful? Hopefully, some other keepers will be about later :2thumb:

·
Administrator
17,072 Posts
Our filters are Eheims also but 2213s or 2215s on the indoor tanks. The ponds have home made ones. I Googled yours and found the data:

35 - 66 UK gallons/160 - 300 litres.

On your tank sizes it would hold 93 UK gallons/350 litres, but this would be if totally full.

As it looks to be about half full then it would already be up to the limits of the filter. That said, I've not looked at the specifications for the ones we use recently and can't remember anyway what it says! Ours work fine though.

Your water in the picture doesn't look dirty although obviously this isn't the best way to telling.

Which media are you using?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.