Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

I went to a local pet shop yeaterday and just fell in love with a Bearded Dragon they are sooo cute.

As a potential new owner I am needing as much advice as possible and I appreciate you lot have probably covered this a thousand times but I just want whats best for my new friend instead of jumping in double footed and making a hash of things.

I can get a full set inc a 3ft vivarium and the BD for £160 and was wondering if this is a decent price?

Also is there any breeders on here in the Hull area??

Thanks in advance,

Shaun.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Are you any good at DIY? if so then it would be worth looking at building your own! you could probably get one setup for a fraction of the price! but 160 isnt "to" bad depending on what you get with the setup

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Hi Shaun.
Price aside, the contents of the full set up matter greatly as much of the time they dont really include what you really need to keep a bearded dragon healthy and happy.

What you need is the viv obviously.
a uv tube and starter unit.. this tube really must be a 10% bulb.

A dimming thermostat.
and 1 or 2 light fittings and basking bulbs which certainely dont need to be purchased from a pet shop..wilkinsons or maplin will be better and much much cheaper.

substrate wise, for a baby dragon you really should use kitchen towel so you can keep an eye on its poop etc checking for dodgy looking things and more importantly..lizards can become impacted and die if they swallow more than just a little loose substrate, sand, bark chippings etc.

The worst substrate to use is calci sand and its often used in the complete set ups at shops.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
£160 sounds pretty reasonable if you get all the right kit with it.

£160
Say £50 for a beardie 9pet shop prices) = £110.
10.0 UV starter and tube say £45 = £65
Heat light and holder say £10 = £55
Thermostat, say £50 = £5
bag of substrate say £5 = £0
feeding bowl, hides, branches say £20 = -£20
calcium and vitamins, roughly a tenner = -£30
box of crickets, £2.50 = -£32.50
36*24*24 vivarium around £80 = -£112.50
couple of digital thermometers = £20 = -£132.50

So it sounds like a bloody good price if you're getting the right stuff.

Pretty crap price if you get

heat mat
no thermostat
bag of calci sand
a 2.0 UV light

and end up having to replace half the setup

(no doubt somebody has already said all this or the OP has listed what he's getting in the time it took me to type it all)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
its doubtfull it would include supplements [maybe dragon dust crap] digital thermometers and the like.

would be nice to see obviously.
we paid about 400 for our first beardie set up.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
just noticed, if you re-read it the post says

'i went to a pet shop and fell in love with a bearded dragon'.

then it goes on to say he can get the full setup and a beardie for £160. There's a good chance it's not a full setup from a pet shop but 'second hand'.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the stuff in the set up is brand new and price includes the BD. I'm not sure though whats included in the set up they give!

Shaun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just come off the phone from the shop. Included in the price is as follows....

1 x 3ft Vivarium
1 x BD
1 x Heat Mat
1 x Flouresent light
1 x Starter
1 x Sand (Not I know)
1 x Set of rocks
1 x Tub of food
1 x Dragon Dust
--------------------
£160

Shaun.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
you don't need a heat mat as they sense heat from above. You'll need a light but you can pick the kit up, ie light holder, flex and a bulb for under a tenner from B&Q. You'll also need a thermostat for the light so it regulates the heat. That'll cost you about an extra £50.
Even if they knocked the heat mat off you'd only save about a tenner.

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
Not great... You'd still need to get a basking light, fitting and thermostat which is another £75 or so...
You'd need a thermostat for the mat too - another £28 or so.

Might be better to write yourself a shopping list and go bargain hunting! You may be able to get bits second hand, from e-bay and shops.
It'll take a bit more work but will suit a dragon better and may save you some money doing it that way.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
thats a bad price. that doesnt even come with a heat lamp which i assure you you'll need, for a beardie. and you need a dimming thermostat= £40. these are the average-high prices for the things you might get

1 x 3ft Vivarium= £70
1 x BD (assuming its a baby) = £35
1 x Heat Mat = £10
1 x Flouresent light = £15, a 30" 10.0
1 x Starter = £20
1 x Sand (Not I know) = £5
1 x Set of rocks = £2
1 x Tub of food = £2
1 x Dragon Dust = £3

= £162, and there all pretty expensive compared to average price. Not forgetting you need some moe decor, a cave, a water dish, a dimming thermostat and more livefood, (which you'll need to get every week)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all sooo much for all your help and saving me wasting my money. So in theory what would I need for a good little set-up and what size vivarium would be best? (1 BD only)

Shaun.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
if it was me i'd go for -

4x2x2 viv and would build it myself for under £50. Actually i'd go a little bit bigger than 4ft so i can get the UV in.
48inch UV light and starter
heat lamp (i use a standard bulb fitting with house bulbs)
Habistat dimming thermostat
bowl for salad
Nutrabol vits
Calypso calcium
either 2 digital thermometers (1 at each end) or an infra red
rocks / branches etc. Find them, freecycle for them or buy them at garden centres.
Substrate for a little un, either lino or tiles. Some people say newspaper or paper towels but you've a chance crickets will hide under them.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh and dont use the dragon dust..
PURE CALCIUM for dusting 4-5 days a week on the food and NUTROBOL which is a multivit for twice a week is perfect.

and for a bulb it needs to be a dimming stat really.

a 4 ft viv will do the beardie for life whereas a 3ft prolly wont so thats worth keeping in mind too dude.
a heat mat really has no place in a beardie viv eithe rand no heating should ever be used without a stat really.
best of luck/

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cor blimey my heads on fire now with all this info:crazy:

So I best start surfing E-Bay and local shops for a decent viv!

Shaun.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts