Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p
hello everyone this is my first post as im new here. let's start off by saying i hope all your pets get exactly what they want for xmas.... oh and you lot too :lol: .
i have a red tailed boa and my better half gem has a leopard gecko.
ok here goes my red tail has a small bit of shed on the very tip of his tail that doesn,t seem to want to come off. i have tried very very gently trying to ease it off but had no luck. problem is he's a bit snappy ( young about a year im led to believe) i would also really appreciate any advice on calming him down a bit as getting bit not funny anymore. any help would be much appreciated. i read the thread on the snake with skin falling off and could instantly see what a caring bunch you all are so im laying myself at your feet so to speak. i'll stop waffling now. :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My sisters corn has the tip of his tail (about 6-7mm) left unshed almost every time. I just dip it into warm water a few times to soften it then ease it off with damp kitchen towel/wet fingers.

Might be a bit more stubborn with a boa, and not so easy if it's snappy.
You could try the same thing as above, but have someone controlling the front half of the snake (maybe within a pillowcase) while you see to the tail - he probably wont be too happy when you've finished though, so maybe wear some gloves if you're worried about being tagged. Gloves (eg. marigold/washing up gloves) would also give you a bit more grip.

Or you could give him a bath - probably easier to do this in a large plastic storage box with a lid than in the actual bath. The remaining skin would still need to be helped off manually though.

As for handling - regular handling for short periods initially, increasing in time as you go - say, 3 times week for 5 mins to start with, then increase to 10 mins when you feel he's ready, then 15 mins, and so on. If he's a bit lively/nippy it's best to keep him out until he's calmed down - if you put him back as soon as he plays up he'll do it every time so that he gets his own way. Again, if you're worried wear some gloves - it'll give you more confidence so you'll be calmer, and he should be calmer as a result. If you're nervous your body gives off pheromones that he'll pick up on, which will in turn make him nervous as he'll see you as a threat. Start with two gloves, the go down to one, and eventually none.

Remember not to handle him when he's coming up for a shed or for 24 hours after, and no handling for 48 hrs after a feed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for that. was/am trying the little and often handling trick. i've been told that it's common with young boa's to be snappy is this true? and once again many thanx for advice.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
well i'd say pretty much spot on wot Mark has said, but rather than marigolds i would recommend Latex gloves (u can buy from most chemists) apparently snakes dont like the taste so once they have bitten once or twice they learn not too,

well its not just young boas that are snappy, all ages/snakes can be, but the younger they are the more snappy they are

hope this helps

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
once again thank you all very much. trying to put photo up off him hopefully i can persuade this infrernal machine to do what i want :lol:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
This may sound silly but ... Do you handle during your snake's normal activity time? I normally only handle mine in the evening when they're up - I've heard people say they don't all take to being taken out when they're asleep during the day and it could take them by surprise. Having said that, mine are very tolerant of me touching them/taking out at any time and the only time I need to watch out is when it's boa feeding time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
some are snappy some are not but the bite is really nothing the shock of the bite is what will get you the first time round lol

lots of handling try using thin leather gloves if youre worried about a bite

had a young girl of about 14 bring one in once she didnt want this little redtail anymore by the way its most probably not a true redtail you have count the saddles on the back and post pic. anyway it had bitten her on the lip so she was now terrified of it. it was hungry and she didnt take into account her lip looked like a nice young mouse as she chatted to her friend lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts