Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm finally allowed a dog:2thumb: But not until near the end of the year so looking into breeds now!

I love big dogs but where I'll be working during the day i'd need a dog that didn't need loads of exercise so a 30 min walk in the morning and a good 1-2 hour walk in the evening! Need to be good with kids and not kill our rabbit!

I've been looking into Newfies, but I know they don't last as long as other dogs, only around 10 years! Is there anyway to prolong their life? Such as feeding them a mixture of high quality dog food & good quality raw meats?

Also this may seem like a stupid question but can you feed frozen rabbits meant for large snakes? And if I fed my dog rabbit, would it potentially see my live rabbit as food & attack him?

Or any other dogs anyone can recommend? Larger ones? I do love snow dogs but I can't give them the exercise they deserve! I do also like small dogs, like Pomeranians but I'd love a larger dog! Also looking into white german sheppards or white Alsatians! Any advice/recommendations will be appreciated! :)

Thanks! :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're too energetic! x

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm finally allowed a dog:2thumb: But not until near the end of the year so looking into breeds now!

I love big dogs but where I'll be working during the day i'd need a dog that didn't need loads of exercise so a 30 min walk in the morning and a good 1-2 hour walk in the evening! Need to be good with kids and not kill our rabbit!

I've been looking into Newfies, but I know they don't last as long as other dogs, only around 10 years! Is there anyway to prolong their life? Such as feeding them a mixture of high quality dog food & good quality raw meats?

Also this may seem like a stupid question but can you feed frozen rabbits meant for large snakes? And if I fed my dog rabbit, would it potentially see my live rabbit as food & attack him?

Or any other dogs anyone can recommend? Larger ones? I do love snow dogs but I can't give them the exercise they deserve! I do also like small dogs, like Pomeranians but I'd love a larger dog! Also looking into white german sheppards or white Alsatians! Any advice/recommendations will be appreciated! :)

Thanks! :2thumb:
They're one and the same breed(historically , their breed name got changed to be more politically correct during the war)also although this won't be true for all, behavioural issues are more prevalent in the whites. They're also a pretty high energy intelligent dog who does better with someone around more. In my experience anyways.

Have you thought of a greyhound? If raised from a youngster they can be fantastic around other furries. They love their runs and walks but are then quite happy to collapse and sleep lots at home. Very loving dogs too. Seriously underrated.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Get a Shepherd

It's the weight of large dogs rather than their height that shortens their lives. Greyhounds are often one of the longer lived tall breeds. Another sighthound that sometimes lives to a reasonable age is the Irish Wolfhound, but don't let them be too bulky. So, bulk rather than height shortens lives, as it often does with overweight humans.
For German Shepherds, which is now becoming my favourite breed again, find a breeder of the type of Alsatian you want. I know of breeders who supply the Forces and Police with large "working" dogs, some people just throw 2 Alsatians together because they are the same breed, some breed nice pets and some breed show dogs. This is evident and can be seen in the variety of dogs within the same type. Feorag who posts on here may be perfectly placed to advise you further.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Being that big if they averidge ten I'd be surprised , the only thing which might help is a good diet I don't think there any proven way to prolong life otherwise humans would be doing it .
I would be surprised too.

OP, if you look at how various breeds of dogs age, in the first couple of years they are fairly the same, then when they get to about 3-4 years old, the large breeds escalate fast and the small breeds carry on aging slowly.

German Shepherds are a very rewarding breed, but they need to be around people and need to be 'busy' because they are an intelligent working breed, so get bored easily. I wouldn't leave a GSD puppy alone for long periods, as it will get destructive in its boredom.

I would however consider rescuing an older GSD from a reputable breed rescue, such as GSDR, where the dog will have been temperament assessed etc and, being older, will be calmer. We rescued Skye at 11 months old and he's very high energy so could barely lie down for more than 10 minutes and would be up pacing. He's now nearly 5 and actually lies quite relaxed around the house when he's not out.

As far as your rabbit is concerned, if you bring in a puppy you can teach it to respect the rabbit, taking on an older dog you would need to have it assessed first, as prey drive can vary such a lot in any breed. Our last GSD was about 6 years old when my son found a lost rabbit in the street and brought it home. It lived in our living room and our GSD took it upon himself to protect it from our cats (not that it needed protection, but that was his job!!), whereas I wouldn't trust Skye with a rabbit because he has a high prey drive.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! So far i've decided on a gsd! I've seen an 11 month old gerberian shepsky & going to see some puppies later then make a decision! My sister will be looking after them during the day! Or a dog walker if she's not available! This is only when i'm at work! Xx

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Honestly, I think a cross between a GSD and a Husky can be a nightmare. Yes, there are people on here who own them and they are good dogs, but imao when you take on a crossbreed, you have to look, not just at the positive qualities of both breeds, but the negative too and in some cases those negatives can combine to make a nightmare dog.

In the GSD you have a dog with an inherent nature to be around people, a high learning ability, a wish to please and to be worked. No better breed to interact with - again my opinion, not necessarily everyone else's.

In the Husky you have a dog with a higher pack instinct than a GSD, bred to pull sleds for miles, so they are a very high energy breed. They need a very strong leader, otherwise they will not do what they are told, so training can be difficult. Also as a pack dog, they do tend to fair better with another dog as a companion.

Both breeds are prone to hip dysplasia, as well as other breed problems, so you need to be sure that both parents have been hip scored.

You should definitely spend time with both parents to assess their temperament and behaviour. If you get a pup with the positive qualities of both breeds, you'll get a stonker, if you get a pup with the negative qualities of both breeds, you'll end up with mega problems.

Again only my opinion, but even with my love of GSDs and experience of dogs, I wouldn't consider taking on a cross between these 2 breeds. Sorry! :blush:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.