Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My corn is eating adult mice (do they come in sizes?) but they are just too small, seem like a snack. What is the next item up? Is it a small rat or something?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Small rats yeah. Or you can offer two of the item you are feeding him right now.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Weaner rats would probably be the next size up from adult mice - but you can get ex.large/jumbo mice from most places though.
One adult mouse is an ok for meal for most corns though, unless it's a really big one.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
When you say adult mice, wot size/weight are they, and how often do you feed.

Most shops sell there mice in the following sizes, pinks, fluff/fuzzie, small(10- 15g) medium(15-20g), large(20-25g), x-large(25-30) and jumbo(30g+),

it all depends on the size of the snake, you should feed a mouse that is 1.5 time the size of the girth of the snake at its fattest point,

If this is the largest food you are able to get then look at up grading to 2 mice, but you do not want to over feed as you coul end up with an overweight snake, Heres a post of a rescue i recently took on, this snake is really fat and is 800grams over weight,
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17295

My Corns are currently on 2 medium mice every 10 days, the largest i will feed them on will be 1 xl mouse every 10 days,

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
You could give him XL pr Jumbo Mice maybe.If there small thry rats.

·
Registered
380 Posts
it all depends on the size of the snake, you should feed a mouse that is 1.5 time the size of the girth of the snake at its fattest point,
you should NOT feed it anything 1.5 times the size of its girth, it is the maximum that it can take but not the reccomended food size.
more smaller items are better than 1 large with the odd bigger item for vareity, but not 1 and a half times the girth of the snake, this is just TOO big (max is usually about 1 and a 3rd the girth)
sorry for correcting you tigger

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
dont feed your corns rats!! there to fatty for them and you will end up with obese corn like my sid when i first rescued him, if anything go for Jumbo mice and feed two!!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
rossthedon said:
you should NOT feed it anything 1.5 times the size of its girth, it is the maximum that it can take but not the reccomended food size.
more smaller items are better than 1 large with the odd bigger item for vareity, but not 1 and a half times the girth of the snake, this is just TOO big (max is usually about 1 and a 3rd the girth)
sorry for correcting you tigger
Tiggers advice is fine no need to correct him.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay guys, I'll look into jumbo mice or doubling up on mice, thanks!

G

·
I would go for XL or jumbo mice and if you cant get them then try weaner or large weaner rats.My corns are on weaners and large weaners but it all depends on the size you are offered.

For me weaners are 26-51 grams and large weaners are 52-90 grams

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
boshogg said:
dont feed your corns rats!! there to fatty for them and you will end up with obese corn like my sid when i first rescued him, if anything go for Jumbo mice and feed two!!
disagree there and I think so would most people here. Rats are better nutritionally for snakes than mice... chances are you just fed to much to foten I think?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm just gonna have to see what the pet shop supply and go with that.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree with Ross - while most snakes are perfectly capable of handling prey 1.5 times their girth (and larger) there should really be no need to feed such large food items in captivity.
I usually go for rodents that are roughly the same width (or smaller, depending on species of snake) than the girth of the snake. Only if I'm really stuck for options would I feed larger items.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
i got to agree with ross we really dont need to be feeding 1 and a half times the girth smaller is better !! but as has also been mentioned they can take 1 and a half it is just not the best option

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
a lot of regurges can be traced back to too bigger food items as well.(especially with hatchlings) I like to see a noticable bump when my snakes feed and tend to feed items about 1 and a third bigger. If in doubt feed two smaller prey items :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
yeah at lest most of you are doing right lol
OMG scottiedog, iv just noticed your avitar :shock:
need to go wipe my PC, iv been speaking with a tim! noooooooooooooooo lol
fancy making me one of them smart avitars? iv never been able to do it. just no tim propaganda on it tho lol

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I dont think feeding large prey items is a problem as long as you leave it longer in between. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts