Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay im not planning on getting one anytime soon im just asking for the future(i like to plan ahead).

okay ive noticed my mum is getting used to having a snake in the house she is s**t scared of them but she seems to be getting used to 3 year old royal which ive had for 3 months now(im so happy he settled in perfectly) she handled him the other day and i think she is comming round lol anyway in case she comes round ive been researching a few diffrent snakes im intrested in and ive come up with a short list and id like your insights on these snakes they are....

dumerils boa(im aware of the paper work needed).

hog island boa.

BRB.

JCP.

okay out of these snakes in your personal experience which is best and why?(im looking at their temperament and feeding habits).

ps. i highlighted the dumerils because im really intrested in it and i have scare background information such as how it behaves and feeding problems etc etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Ive had a Royal for just over a year and recently bought my second snake...a Crawl Cay Boa, i know its not on your wish list but may be worth a look??

Shes gorgeous, has fed once perfectly fine (although she did eat it quite lazily) and doesnt seem to have any problems with being handled. Ive only had her just over a week but already she will willingly come towards you when she sees you come in the room...and it doesnt seem to be out of fear!!

Just a bit of experience for you :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,906 Posts
I would choose a hog island boa as they dont get too big as you sound like you dont want something too big. Temperament wise brbs can be abit snappy and dont like alot of handling, dumerils boas are good too but depends if you want it as a pet or breeding purposes? JCPs I dont really know too much about them but they can be snappy from young but you can tame them down at the end of the day it is your choice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,527 Posts
Pffft....Boids.....Can go wrong with a good old colubrid, lol :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GazEmm said:
Ive had a Royal for just over a year and recently bought my second snake...a Crawl Cay Boa, i know its not on your wish list but may be worth a look??

Shes gorgeous, has fed once perfectly fine (although she did eat it quite lazily) and doesnt seem to have any problems with being handled. Ive only had her just over a week but already she will willingly come towards you when she sees you come in the room...and it doesnt seem to be out of fear!!

Just a bit of experience for you :D
ive heard about them i think im going to look into them thanks :D



snake100 said:
I would choose a hog island boa as they dont get too big as you sound like you dont want something too big. Temperament wise brbs can be abit snappy and dont like alot of handling, dumerils boas are good too but depends if you want it as a pet or breeding purposes? JCPs I dont really know too much about them but they can be snappy from young but you can tame them down at the end of the day it is your choice
its not that i dont want a big snake its more i dont have the room for a giant cage :lol: i have enough room for said animals though.
yes im looking into breeding snakes and im definetly groing to be breeding dumerils one day.


scarlettvegetable said:
Pffft....Boids.....Can go wrong with a good old colubrid, lol :lol: :lol:
:lol: yeah but im a python and boa fan not that i dont enjoy other snakes
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
62,208 Posts
out of those, i would personally go for the BRB.. i dont know much about the others and i have been tempted by the BRB before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
BRB all the way -however all the snakes you metioned are bloody lovely :D

the hatchlings are snappy but they calm down really quick I have 4 at the mo (more females on the way!) aged between 2 & 4 yrs old they are all 100% tame never a hiss or strike out of them, if you do a little research on the care of them (or just ask :wink: ) I think you would be very happy.

let us know what you decide
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
sorry for kinda hijacking this post going off topic alittle......

i wanted to know more about the dumerils boa and the protected thing, what paperwork is needed and where can i see what this paperwork or what is needed for it....i post on a american site based on boa's and noone seems to know anything about dumerils being protected, also a few have them but said nothing of papers being needed. just wondering if someone can give me some infomation on it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
62,208 Posts
they wont do jack, they dont need much over there. the country is so big they can just move things around easier too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
someone just told me that his friend in sweden put up an online Ad for a dumerils boa and got a letter from the police and had to pay a 200 dollar fine...ive been so close to buying a dumerils, how do i check what snakes are fine to buy and which snakes papers are needed for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Maybe look on the RSPCSA website or google it mate, i dunno, never encountered the problem...

I'd recomend a hog island boa, i had one for ages before and they are a right treat to keep. they don't get too large so you don't need a humoungus viv. for them and you can also handle alone, as opposed to largerer species such as a very mature Red tail boa, or offcourse some of the pytons.... I'd recomend either that or a brb. pleasure to keep, both of them. never had a brb but knew a guy that did, never had a problem with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,255 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top