Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gift shop at work were throwing out a load of those crappy plastic fish aquarium toys. (you know, those fake aquariums with the magnetic fish in etc) because they had cracked in shipping... and i thought they would make awesome enclosures for small arboreal spiders. the units are clear acrylic and have a tight fitting lid with a built in waterproof light! If anyone ever sees these for sale at poundshops or whatever i would buy one and convert it! (is it just me who looks at everything and wonders how to make it into a viv? :D )

Any way i have attatched some pics for your perusal! the finished tank is now home to my biggest Steatoda.

On a scary sidenote however, in order to fit the tanks into my backpack ( was on my motorbike ) i had to stuff a sub adult Macrothele gigas (well packed/sealed!) inside my bike jacket! now that makes for a nervous ride home! :D

apparantly im bad at getting pictures the right way up...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah all good, the bulb is screened off by a plate of acrylic, and because its only a 3v bulb it barely generates any heat! im well chuffed! good steal i reckon!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Just keep an eye on the temp even though it's only 3v , it's also a plastic tank which will tend to hold the heat in too . I assume you aren't going to keep the light on for extended amounts of time as it may freak out your T's .

Excluding possible problems with the light , nice little tank .

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Nice. But are there any airholes in it? lol.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with regards to the light issues: it is just a viewing light. Dont worry about air, behind the bark backing i perforated plenty of air holes using a hot metal pin, and the bark isnt pressed tight up against the back so there is good air flow

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
On a scary sidenote however, in order to fit the tanks into my backpack ( was on my motorbike ) i had to stuff a sub adult Macrothele gigas (well packed/sealed!) inside my bike jacket! now that makes for a nervous ride home! :D

do they sell those in your gift shop, too? :gasp:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha unfortunatly, no. I was keeping him in the quarantine at work, didnt have a display tank for it at home so it got a holiday! finally got a tank that is secure enough for me to not have nightmares about it escaping!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts