Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still waiting to get our first beardie.
Talking to my local reptile shop they have said that the thermostat should be at 86F (30C) in the day - they have told me to site the thermostat in the middle of the tank. That seems about OK with what else I have read on the forum but they have said that the thermostat should be turned down each night to 74F (24C) - so a lot cooler. I havent seen this anywhere else - are they talking nonsense ? And just trying to get me to buy more electrics ? Advise please !

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
you shouldn't need a thermostat at night unless you're planning on using a night heater such as a heat mat on the side or a ceramic bulb. With them telling you to put the thermostat in the middle it sounds like they've told you to use a heat / light bulb or ceramic bulb?
Night time heats can go to as low as 65f so set your viv up before you get the beardie and measure temps at night.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you shouldn't need a thermostat at night unless you're planning on using a night heater such as a heat mat on the side or a ceramic bulb. With them telling you to put the thermostat in the middle it sounds like they've told you to use a heat / light bulb or ceramic bulb?
Night time heats can go to as low as 65f so set your viv up before you get the beardie and measure temps at night.
They have told me to use a heat lamp and a heat mat leaving them on all the time - but turning down the temp at night.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Sorry to butt in here but measure temps at night? what's the best way for doing that?

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
you don't need both all the time it's over kill. You should only use a heat mat at night. I've never had to use any night time heating with my beardie.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
Sorry to butt in here but measure temps at night? what's the best way for doing that?
you can get a thermometer that registers and stores highest and lowest temps. Don't ask me which as i can only remember seeing it on here but if you've central heating and have it to come on during the night at intervals that should do the trick anyway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you don't need both all the time it's over kill. You should only use a heat mat at night. I've never had to use any night time heating with my beardie.
So if I have the heat mat on all the time, and the heat lamp can be on a timer -just on in the day - and attach the heat lamp to the thermostat so it switches off it it gets too hot that should cover it ?

Sorry to sound thick but I want to automate these things as much as possible as my 11 year old will be fine on feeding and looking after the beardie but he will forget to switch things off and on again - and I have enough to look after without adding vivarium care to my list !

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
no you don't want the heat mat on at all unless it goes below 65f at night.

Beardies are Australian sun worshippers, they spend all day sunbathing. Hence the beat bulb and UV to replicate the sun and give them the UV they require.
if you want to be safe at night, stick a heat mat to the side of the viv, plug it into a matstat. Pick up 2 plug timers (couple of quid each) and plug a double socket into the dimmer stat. Plug the heat lamp and UV into the double socket and set the timer to come on at whatever time you want beardiebobs to wake up.
Then plug the matstat into the other plug timer, plug the heatmat into that and set the plug timer to come on at the time you want it to at night.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no you don't want the heat mat on at all unless it goes below 65f at night.

Beardies are Australian sun worshippers, they spend all day sunbathing. Hence the beat bulb and UV to replicate the sun and give them the UV they require.
if you want to be safe at night, stick a heat mat to the side of the viv, plug it into a matstat. Pick up 2 plug timers (couple of quid each) and plug a double socket into the dimmer stat. Plug the heat lamp and UV into the double socket and set the timer to come on at whatever time you want beardiebobs to wake up.
Then plug the matstat into the other plug timer, plug the heatmat into that and set the plug timer to come on at the time you want it to at night.
OK Thanks for that - the woman in the shop was obviously oin commission

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have just been setting up a viv today for my Sons baby beardy when it comes.

We have put, a 100w spot running on a dimmerstat, pointing at two pieces of blue slate, running on a timer 09:00, until 23:00, Backed up by a heat mat on the rear wall running on a mat stat, turned down low, I could see no need for a timer on this as the sensor for the matstat is at the hot end, so immediately the spotlamp comes on this will raise the temp on the matstat so the mat goes off. UV is supplied by a Repti-glo 10, 36" 30w flourescent light, mounted on the front above the glass doors, it is a silver coloured viv, so this helps to reflect the light back and down into the viv.

I am getting temp readings at the moment of 80f at the cool end and just a shade over 100f on the back wall at the warm end, parallel with the basking spot, so the actuall basking spot would be a bit higher. Does this sound okay?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I think the trouble with some shops are that they tend to generalise, You dont need any heating at night with a Beardie unless your house is colder then 60 - 65f. If you do use a heatmat rap it around the sides and not on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
We have just been setting up a viv today for my Sons baby beardy when it comes.

We have put, a 100w spot running on a dimmerstat, pointing at two pieces of blue slate, running on a timer 09:00, until 23:00, Backed up by a heat mat on the rear wall running on a mat stat, turned down low, I could see no need for a timer on this as the sensor for the matstat is at the hot end, so immediately the spotlamp comes on this will raise the temp on the matstat so the mat goes off. UV is supplied by a Repti-glo 10, 36" 30w flourescent light, mounted on the front above the glass doors, it is a silver coloured viv, so this helps to reflect the light back and down into the viv.

I am getting temp readings at the moment of 80f at the cool end and just a shade over 100f on the back wall at the warm end, parallel with the basking spot, so the actuall basking spot would be a bit higher. Does this sound okay?
Sounds fine to me, if you are getting a baby youll need the temp up to 110f basking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts