Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can anyone tell me if you have to lower the vivs temperature at night for leos. A few websites say you should and then some just give you temps the viv should be, not sayin different night and day.
If yes what should the temp be at night?
thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
its not ESSENTIAL to lower temps at night, but really at night no heat is required

·
Registered
169 Posts
here when i turn my heat mat off at night my gecko will stop eating. i just keep it at same temp all the time:blush:

ChRiS

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks
I havent been lowering but was just wondering what everyone else did.

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
I lower the temps at night as it isn't naturally as hot during the night as it would be during the day. I have my mats on a day/night stat.

·
Registered
193 Posts
iv always turned everything off at night and left it at room temp and never had any adverse effects, never read otherwise. reading this i start to wonder if i should change it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine are at an ambient temp of 82f in the day and 72f at night, which imo is more natural, they're nocturnal and in the wild theres a natural temp drop at night. Their nocturnal behaviour came about because temperatures are too harsh during the day.

Its easily done on a thermostat, I've never used heat mats due to all the burn victims I've seen, but thats just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
mines on all day everyday... mostly cos i cantr get to the plug!! lol

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
A temperature drop is not essential, but a photo period is. I agree that if the room is warm enough, turning everything off at night is fine, but you shouldnt let it drop below the low 70's as far as im aware :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I Leave my mats on 24/7 and figured the room loses a bit of temperature at night anyway!!

If they feed at night they need warmth in order to digest the food don't they??

Sarah x

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have a 60w bulb at one end of the Viv for daytime on a timer and i have a heat mat that turns on at the same time the light goes out but in my other Viv's i have a light bulb on all day and no heat on at night and they all seem to act the same way

1 - 20 of 20 Posts