Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the other half has heard there is a nile monitor available to rehome.. were just getting all the caresheets together as she is interested. Its about 2ft at the mo but what would you think would be the right size viv and any tips as weve never kept a monitor before..

·
Registered
457 Posts
erm right, viv for a nile.

erm an adult nile monitor requires a small room ideally, also they dont tame down really at all.

hence why they end up in rescues.

niles need as the na me suggest large water part and land part ehnce equating to a small room when adult.

also very fast growing

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have seen one in the last 6 months that was 6-7ft total length and powerfuly built.The guy who owned it got bit by it and it tore open a small vein in his arm,que much panic! I was there as it had damaged its tail and needed swabing,it took 2 of us to restrain it to do this(i had too sit on it!) and i still ended up with claw marks all over me!
I do however think they are magnificent animals but are really in the "advanced " keepers only league imo.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i think they are pretty evil looking lizards. I used to know a website somewhere that showed bites of various monitors but i cant find it anymore, i know enough to know they draw blood though!

I hope that if u get it that u manage to control it tim, sure u wont struggle too much with one.

The thing that worries me most now about getting bit is if i'm allergic to the venom cuz it can be pretty bad having a huge fat swollen hand!

Looking forward to seeing it when u get it tim.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we think we're going to start with something like an Ackie now.. although we may have a whole room for a nile monitor in a year we have no idea if we will or not and I definitely don't have the experience for a monitor that size.. wanted to hear what other people thought first and then have a big think about it. Maybe in the future but not now.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
NNY said:
Well we think we're going to start with something like an Ackie now.. although we may have a whole room for a nile monitor in a year we have no idea if we will or not and I definitely don't have the experience for a monitor that size.. wanted to hear what other people thought first and then have a big think about it. Maybe in the future but not now.
Probably a wise descion tim,if you do become interested in large monitors,let me know as i know a couple of people with them and i am sure they wouldn't you coming to have a look/get an idea of what there about first hand.
simon

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers mate.. Ill remember that for the future.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i'd be very carful if i were you when considering nile monitors!
they can be VERY aggressive and can grow to 6-7 feet, and wouldn't have much problem knocking you over! let alone doing some damage. :shock: as a young one, a large viv is ok, but like somebody else said, you will need a whole room as it grows.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You know what I think :D Get a Bosc!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
my Don is asleep at the back of my bed right now near my pillow.

i must remember to check where he is before i go to sleep or i may wake up with no nose!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
We have a Nile here, it was ID'd by the shop as a boscs monitor lol and I got a call asking if we could rehome it as the gent that brought it in said if the shop didnt take it he would have to destroy it, well thinking it was a bosc i was straigt down there that day with only a pair of heavy duty gloves and a travel bag to get it home with, I didnt even take a second person with me as i didnt think i would need one for a bosc.

When they took off the newspaper from the front of the viv I was a bit shocked to see a 3-4ft nile loking back at me, was very lucky there was a canadian guy in the shop to assist with the bagging of this guy as he was not happy, i did take him home (i couldnt leave im at the shop the staff were terrified of him and they did not have anything to house him in) and atm he lives in a nice huge viv with all requirements as his burns heal(looks like he was burnt by a eatmat or radiator as he has burns on his belly), he has bitten ray a couple of times once he clamped his jaw and if it wasnt for the gloves ray was wearing i think the damage would of been terrible but after the initial settling in period has turned out rather placid (for a nile). If we find a new home within the next six months we will be keeping him with us (we need an extra room) as i couldnt pass on such a large lizard without worrying. must say the learning curve was rather steep for me but having the tegu iguanas and boscs helped alot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts